Shortwave Radios

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I am looking for a portable shortwave/world band radio, has anyone got any reccomendations.

I would prefer if it ran on 2 AA batteries, I have looked at the threads on windup radios but I'm not sure they would meet my needs - BBC world service etc.
Pocket sized solar power, wind up and battery option would be ideal but I don't think it exists.

Don't have a lot of cash available for it so would be looking under £50.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

JFW

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39993&item=5717386378&rd=1

I got one of these from a different ebay seller with a bricks and motar shop. They sold reconditioned roberts and mine was only £40 like new. Sony make one almost identical to this but new they are £80. I've got the roberts one and my wife has the sony and you can't fault either. If you want the 2 AA one then you either get analogue or pay best part of £200.

I will try and find the reciept to let you have the number and see if they still have reconditioned ones if you like.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Found the number JFW.

The shop is sight & sound in Gloucester but they do mail order and their number is 01452 503691 give them a call and see if they have any refurb. ones. I could not tell the difference from a new one. Mine is a Roberts R881 £45 all in and works great, listened to world service olympic updates in athens last week on it, fantastic.

Bill

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I only have one SW radio and it is a Sony100 something or other. Nice pocket sized unit, 2AA's but way more than 50 quid when I got it. Perfectly adequate for the BBC for me and US Naval Observatory Time. I am not much of a SW nut, but have appreciated this small unit traveling.

It is an absolute pain to program though and about as non-intuitive as anything could ever be...must have the manual. Sensitivity is OK but my requirements are low...the BBC seems to be available on about a million frequencies.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
I've got one of these:
http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/r9962.htm
Its a brill little radio, runs on 2 AA batteries which last ages and is small emough to carry anywhere. Nice sound quality as well, when it isn't travelling with us it does its duty as the everyday kitchen radio at home. But yes, if you can afford it buy an ssb capable one, lets you hear the more interesting stations!
Cheers
David

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Thanks for all your help guys.
Don't think I'll rush out and buy one just yet will check out this sideband receiver first though it may be a bit excessive for my needs.

Cheers for your help and advice.

JFW

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
Single sideband (SSB), unlike AM, needs fairly precise fine tuning to get an intelligible signal. If you're thinking about an SSB radio, try it out in the shop first, to see how easily you can tune in SSB. A good place to find SSB signals at any time of day or night (shortwave propagation changes with time of day) is the 40 metre amateur/ham radio band, which covers 7.0 to 7.1 MHz.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Thanks for the tip Strike Team ... and welcome to BCUK!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Strike Team said:
Single sideband (SSB), unlike AM, needs fairly precise fine tuning to get an intelligible signal. If you're thinking about an SSB radio, try it out in the shop first, to see how easily you can tune in SSB. A good place to find SSB signals at any time of day or night (shortwave propagation changes with time of day) is the 40 metre amateur/ham radio band, which covers 7.0 to 7.1 MHz.
Yep,
And it's somthing you develop an ear for understanding with a bit of practice.
http://www.flashwebhost.com/circuit/bfoceramic.php gives an easy circuit to make an ordinary radio here ssb. Might have to try it out.
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE