Short season for wild foods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've noticed particularly this year how short the season is for some of the wild foods that I've made use of in previous years. I've been very busy over the past two to three months with decorating the house and sorting out the garden, so I haven't had the chance to wander the hedgerows and do much foraging.

As an example, I saw the elder flowers coming on in my garden pretty recently and meant to make champagne and cordial and dry some for tea mixes (I did make fritters last week, which were good, but would have been better with a thinner batter - they tasted good, but were a bit heavy and stodgy), but they have pretty much gone over now.

Similarly, I'd meant to try the young nipplewort leaves, but I let the plants get too big, so I've missed out on that one as well.

It made me realise that perhaps the hunter-gather lifestyle may have been subject to similar time pressures to those that we suffer in our modern lifestyle.

Has anybody else noticed this? And what foods stay in season for a longer time? I suppose that something like Lesser Celandine root will have a fairly long season, as long as you rememebr where they grew!

Geoff

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
I wonder if we need more rain? I know the Bluebells were early in our area this year. Sadly our local Bramble bushes, which have been there for a good 30 or so years have recently begun to be pulled up. I will miss my apple and blackberry crumble!

The Dandelions seem to doing well!

Mang

Settler
How are the Sloes doing were you all are? I've noticed some bushes with next to nothing and others with absolutely loads. Some with some Wild Service trees near me, all a similar size but one is brimming with Chequers.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I haven't noticed anything that anything is going over paticulary quickly. Somethings like blossom don't last long in heavy rain, somethings grow fast in the warm and damp. The trick is pick it when you see it and always be on the look out. June is a bit of a funny month, it is between seasons, the fruits aren't ripe, and quite a few foliage plants have gone a bitter through flowering.

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
well things have gone so quick this year... our wild srawberries are in full fruit, some blackberries, peaches. Cherries have finished and the beech mast looks like it will be done by mid august....

where did spring and the 1st half of summer go..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE