Short Intro

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi there,

as promised a short introduction after lurking for many months now.

But first: A BIG THANK YOU to the entire list. Very informative and respectful towards the other members! (I quit most scuba diving forums if you catch my drift)

My name is Johan van Dijk, born in 1970, spent most of my life in The Netherlands , currently (and temporarily?) living back in Holland.

Introduced to the outdoors/bushcraft during long holiday walks (Germany). After many books, there was The Bushtucker Man on t.v.: awesome! And this fellow Ray Mears could be seen on BBC! (Tracks) I was more then hooked.

After a 4 months journey in 1998, I followed a Fundamentals at Woodlore with John Ryder as the main instructor. Nettie was doing her internship at the time iirc.

Combining the outdoors with another hobby of mine, scuba diving took up a lot of time (and money).

In 2003 I started to realize another dream: travel the world. So after quitting my job I traveled for 2,5 years, visiting many beautiful places like the jungles of SE Asia, a lot of the outback in Australia and the jungles of Guatemala and Honduras.

My prefered kit depends a lot on the circumstances but my hammock, tarp and parang are almost always with me. Trying to combine lightweight, old& new stuff, old and new knowledge I am slowly (re)discovering the outdoors and bushcraft in the "cold & wet" area of Europe. Using a saw and F1 most of the times, but my parang still does the trick here too ;-)

Well I think this is about it. If I missed any or if you have any remarks, questions please let me know.

Grtz Johan / born2roam

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A warm welcome to you Johan,
From your intro, it seems like you are a seasoned veteran already, get stuck into the forums, I'm sure you can help a lot of people with their questions.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello born2roam and welcome to BcUK :)
It's a good mix of people, wide wanderers like yourself, hedge and woodland folks, crafters, teachers, and the suburbanites needing a breath of fresh air. Pull up a seat and join the conversations :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
welcome to the forum born2roam from your intro it sounds like you have managed to do what a lot of us would love to do but other commitments do not allow us to. I hope you will be able to share some of your experiences on the forum, as I am sure you have as much to offer us as we have you :)
Chas

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Helo and welcome!
Enjoy the site mate.
Two questions
1 - how come you Dutch have such a great command of English (better than some native Englishmen)?
2 - Could you give me any advice on gear for a months trekking in Thailand - I am going all over the country?
John

John Fenna said:
Helo and welcome!
Enjoy the site mate.
Two questions
1 - how come you Dutch have such a great command of English (better than some native Englishmen)?

Uuuh don't know... a lot of practise both in school, while travelling and some more I reckon....

2 - Could you give me any advice on gear for a months trekking in Thailand - I am going all over the country?
John

Will get back to that one later too! Got heaps of info.

Btw, list if this should be in PM or something, help me out here 'cos I can't seem to find this "reply to list / reply to sender" option and it will definitely be there somehow.... must be the time... it's 0.23 here and I started this morning around 06.30 ;-(

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE