Xtar flashlight runtime - bogus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Ah, another Xtar warning! May I ask what went wrong with the one(s) you've had?
Hey matey.
Yes no probs, i had two of the same model for cheap lights for shed and by the back door.
One went rattly and the switch went.
The other developed a flicker then cooked itself due to poor led mounting and poor driver contact with the heat sink.
Just generally badly put together. The ones I had anyway

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Hey matey.
Yes no probs, i had two of the same model for cheap lights for shed and by the back door.
One went rattly and the switch went.
The other developed a flicker then cooked itself due to poor led mounting and poor driver contact with the heat sink.
Just generally badly put together. The ones I had anyway
Not positive!

They do seem to be recommended all over the place for diving, but there are also so so many reviews where it's unclear just how long they actually used them for, not to mention the potential conflict of interest if paid or supplied the unit to keep.

Clearly sometimes they get them made right! But sometimes isn't really good enough if it's your only light.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Not positive!

They do seem to be recommended all over the place for diving, but there are also so so many reviews where it's unclear just how long they actually used them for, not to mention the potential conflict of interest if paid or supplied the unit to keep.

Clearly sometimes they get them made right! But sometimes isn't really good enough if it's your only light.
If its a light that your wellbeing may depend on then you have to spend a few quid.
I kept going back to surefire and malkoff for my dry land and ocassionally wet. edc’s with good reason. There must be an equivalent in the dive-light world im guessing.

Reactions: hughtrimble

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE