short hike and camp part 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
My family and I came to the campsite and had lunch with our friends. For some reason, I didn't take that many pictures in camp at all. The kids played until it was time to go. My wife and girls went home and I was to stay over and help out the next day before going home. We did get a few sprinkles and the wind really picked up from time to time. The UFO looking things are just raindrops that got on my lens.

Pictures-200801Hoomaluhia061.jpg

Well evening came and I am now well fed and getting drowsy. I said my goodnights to my kids by phone and as I was about to turn in, I remembered that I promised someone on a different forum some comparative flashlight beam shots. So I dug out the lights that I brought for this and took a few final pictures. I had the Fenix L0D Q4, the Surefire G2, the Fenix L2P CE (I forgot the P3D Q5), and a Surefire G2 with a BugOutGear Q5 drop-in. These beam shots are from about 75 feet.

The L0D Q4 is a great EDC light. The picture doesn't do it justice, but the 1 AAA light isn't really a thrower.

Pictures-200801Hoomaluhia075.jpg

The G2 is.

Pictures-200801Hoomaluhia071.jpg

The L2D CE has more spill and less of a throw.

Pictures-200801Hoomaluhia073.jpg

The winner is the G2 with the BOG Q5.

Pictures-200801Hoomaluhia074.jpg

After that, I retired to my little solo tent and relaxed a bit until my wife called after the kids fell asleep. I was already nodding off by then. Camping without the family seems to have led to one of my earliest bedtimes ever while camping. As I was expecting rain and cold temperatures, I brought a large widemouth bottle to use as a pee bottle, for just in case. I also grabbed a disposable diaper and stuffed it in the bottle to act kind of as a slosh guard to prevent spillage. I must say, it worked great. The little tent was small but cozy. A Thermarest pad and a wool blanket were enough although in the very early morning hours, it did get extra windy and was a bit cold.

So the trip ends after I make a huge breakfast of Portuguese sausage, corned beef hash, scrambled eggs and rice. A little bit of fruit for dessert and all washed down with cowboy coffee. Lot's of energy for taking down everything and cleaning up the campsite. Then of course, we end with our traditional campfire steam and ash volcano for the kids. It's partly for fun and partly educational, not just about volcanoes, but also also about making sure your campfire is out before leaving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE