Shopping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
So, how much food to store?

I have three weeks beyond my usual groaning coupboards.

Im not going to worry about hand sanitizer (allready have lots) or paper (I have other concerns)

(like food)

Bear in mind I live in a nesting box and have limited storage.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Here's a tip if your low on loo paper and doesn't need acres of storage room.
Old flannels, used with soap and water. You can sacrifice an old towel cut into smaller squares. after use put into plastic bucket preferably with a lid and some disinfectant. When you have a few boil wash with dettol or bleach in an old saucepan.
What do I suggest for food? Whatever you like to eat. Grow a veg garden even if it's in improvised containers or hanging baskets and salad crops. Foraging. Lots of salady stuff comming thru right now.
Windowsill gardening can be very productive. Radishes in old margarine or fruit tubs. Mustard and cress. Dried peas grow straight out of the supermarket packet for pea shoots. So no need to get special pea seeds there.
Get a couple of grow bags and plant them up with veg.
Get bushcrafty and think outside the box.
Oh and...
Flour and yeast so you can bake your own bread and cakes and cookies

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I have just been to the Local Asda and they have run out of sponges...................I am now consuming large quantities of cheese hoping to solve the problem by constipation.............when will it ever end...........it was never like this before Brexit. ( I am talking about the cheese ).

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was in my Morrisons today and I noted there was all sorts of odd gaps on the shelves...none of my favorite cream cheese, a distinct lack of pepsi and massive gaps in the dried pulses.

(but plenty of tinned beans.)

No rhyme or reason.

They had put a one pack per person TP limit. The lady in front wanted two, one for her and the other for her mother.

So she had to put one aside and purchase as a new transaction.

A lot of people were buying TP...and kitchen towels.

I told the till man I had plenty of newspaper at home.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Sighs>

I think I should have had this conversation with my father two weeks ago...But I doubt the results would be any different.

He isnt interested in storing food. He says he has plenty. (I have no doubt...but no emergency stuff)

He said he went to the supermarket and they were RIGHT OUT of pilchards (When he says this it could mean they had none of the brand he likes, -Glenryck. He is very fussy as to brands).

Another issue with his diet is he likes fresh bread very much. Not easily stored. Making his own Im sure is well within the skillset...but not the gumption.

I dont think I can do much about this.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Tinned fish like sardines and pilchards tuna and salmon are very nutritional and don't take up a lot of room in storage. Well worth getting in a supply for your dad. He won't worry about the brand when he's hungry.
I don't like sardines at all but I have six tins in my cupboard right now.
They are very cheap even at my expensive local co op. 55p.

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I’m stealing this. LOL.
One sheet fold into quarters, rip a piece out of the centre, open and wipe behind. No need to mention where finger goes, just wipe when removing the sheet. Then use the torn out sheet to clean your nail.

Sorry but that's what am ex army to$$er said on an expedition challenge show presented by Ben Fogle I saw once. He said it was the one sheet army way but he was all bs.

Btw use vaseline before hand that's an old paper free, ul backpacking tip I once read.

Reactions: santaman2000

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am due for my weekly food shop and I am wondering what will be left on the shelves...

Maybe try very early Friday morning rather than very late Thursday night.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’m not sure if it’s different in other parts of the US but yesterday (in NW Florida) I didn’t have any trouble with shortages. In fact it seems everybody must have been straying home because there were no crowds and no problem finding a parking spot. Might be different come payday I suppose.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I am due for my weekly food shop and I am wondering what will be left on the shelves...

Maybe try very early Friday morning rather than very late Thursday night.

What's you need to find out is when the shelf restocking is done.
If it's a 24hr store then 3am is a good time. Majority of people in bed and time for restocking the shelfs has been had.
Late night again less crowds but food has been going from the shelves all day and they might not have started restocking, particularly if it's not a 24 hrs store, in which case be first at the door when it opens! Good luck. I'm done and dusted over a week ago!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fresh produce in the grocery store is obscenely priced here in the winter.
Except for oranges and apples out of climate storage, we see fruit from the Pacific rim
and Mexico down into South America's west coast.
I've gotten into the habit of eating at least one piece of fruit each day, to hell with the cost
except for Honey Crisp apples (3X the price of all else). Sloppy wet.
Funny because I adore big, sweet California Navel oranges.

Home-grown, sprouted seeds seed mixes have lots of useful nutrition and taste.
Toddy is so right, you have to try sprouting seeds, it won't cost much at all.
Any big jar and a screen lid or many holes in the lid is good enough.

I began by buying bulk Mung Beans and germinating them. One tablespoon of seed looked pretty stupid.
Three tablespoons of mung beans looked so much better.
In a week, I was chopping the sprouts with scissors as the jar was packed full.

I run 4 x 1-liter glass jars. 1 tablespoon of seeds will fill each jar in less than 10 days.
So I stagger the starts 3 days apart.
The jars sit in a cardboard box on a 27C heating pad.
I cut my own plastic screen tops to fit in the typical Bernardin rings.

Do not use packets of garden seed. Too expensive and probably dusted with fungicide.

I run all the jars and lids through the diswasher after every one is emptied.
Failure to do so was just asking for moldy fungus rot.
Lots of fresh water changes during sprouting will not cure this.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're much more organised than I am RobsonValley :) I use a couple of sprouter jars, we can buy the grated lids on ebay that will fit any of the Kilner jars, but my old spouter has a kind of angled rest on it that keeps the jar gently draining. I just rinse it through with fresh water every time I pass the kitchen sink.
About a week to get biggish shoots, but just sprouted grains can often be a couple of days. The kitchen's pretty warm.

You're right about the garden seeds, but saved home grown seed is fine.

When I started growing sprouts all those years ago I just used a bit of net curtain and an elastic band to make a 'lid' for the sprouter jars. Any really porous cloth will do though.

I have never had mould or fungus on my sprouts. Seriously, in all these years I have never had mould, and I don't own a dishwasher. In this house everybody washes their own dishes in the kitchen sink. I do wash well and dry thoroughly though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE