Shop display.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Well I was out and about, and I thought this was good.
large.20190625_124901_kindlephoto-2578820.jpg.befd736a47ead39f568e57b368e41bff.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I so want that lamp :emoji_heart_eyes:

If you pass by it again is there any chance you could get a close up of it please?

You know of The Base Camp in Littlehampton, W. Sussex? He’d know it, but they’re very old school, you’d need to ring and see if they have an email address to send the picture to.

That place looks like Cabelas but without the timber build. :)

Reactions: Chalkflint

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
Great tip
I often need oil lamp wicks and go to Littlehampton regularly but never knew The Base Camp existed.
Here's my tip. Anyone visiting Littlehampton go to Freds fish and chip shop on the sea front.
Chalkflint

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Great tip
I often need oil lamp wicks and go to Littlehampton regularly but never knew The Base Camp existed.
Here's my tip. Anyone visiting Littlehampton go to Freds fish and chip shop on the sea front.
Chalkflint

Phone ahead, you’ll never even find it if you don’t. It doesn’t have a sign, except for the rotted out old hairdressers sign that was there before. Inside is an Aladdin’s den of lamps, stoves, petrol powered flat irons, blowlamps etc.

1-B828-E89-2494-4849-B0-A3-348996301-EB9.jpg

8-D239334-BE3-F-4-F0-B-86-A7-AAAE6-DCB4-F6-F.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aladdins cave. .. just got to find the right lamp :)

You’d honestly have a true quest ahead of you in that place. Where I took the pics from is about a 4’x4’ square which the door opens into. That’s as far as you can move in there, there’s no wandering about looking at things, it’s a collectors and his wifes organised chaos, a museum of curiosity you’d never know existed.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looking at their website it appears that they're moving to Peterborough

Well there goes that. I must get a couple of miners lamps over there tomorrow, one is an old blue glass one, apparently used during WW2 as the blue was much less visible at distance.

I can’t see the old couple changing things all that much, it would benefit them to embrace the internet and online shopping a bit further, but they’re not really like that. While I was there he showed me what long term panel wipe usage does to a jet nozzle while his wife was calling through from the back about a Vapalux that had been fired all its life with mantles a little too small and over time had oxidised another jet nozzle. I got a firm lesson on fuels, Aspen Blue is same as Coleman, which is Naphthalene, panel wipe has other additives and burns a bit different, and on always using the recommended parts, mantles, washers etc. The pair of them are a mine of info.

Looking at a tiny antique petrol powered clothes iron (with preheat wick) in a display by the counter, I was inclined to agree with him about being a bit finicky getting things right. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmm.. Trying to work out how these were properly rigged? None of my books have any info, nor can I find anything credible on-line.

The four loops on the sides obviously carried rope away from the lantern glass but where the ropes would go next is a bit of a mystery?

If the top lines went to the loop on the bail that would bring them in contact with the hottest part of the lamp case which I find unlikely.

af30787c-6805-40c0-9f49-25fd7b11e1dc.jpg

The only picture I can find on-line really doesn't look very credible to me.

Curious...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, I may be way off here, but I thought these were ships lanterns - or cargo hold lanterns. My understanding was that they weren't allowed to 'swing' on a single attachment point but were mounted on two ropes running parallel to each other that were fixed at the top and bottom (i.e. ceiling and floor) and could be moved up and down the ropes to position them. How the were held at the desired height I have no idea. Again, this theory is based on someone else telling me years ago that could have been way off the mark then :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Cargo-Lantern.jpg

My new Cargo Lantern arrived yesterday.

First off, as a word to the wise, the glass chimney that Nauticalia supplied, which they thought would fit, doesn't.

Had to order another from eBay which should fit and that leaves me with a chimney that is not worth the hassle to send back really. I'm sure it will come in use at some point down the line. It requires a 40mm or 1+9/16" base and needs to be less than about 8" high ( 5-6" looks ideal.)

Impressions? Well it's sturdily built and as expected some of the edges needed finishing and fettling. It's very shiny but doesn't appear to have been lacquered so should patinate in use. The bails have been cold formed and there are a few fine stress splinters which I suggest need burnishing in or sanding off to avoid getting skewered further down the line. Shouldn't affect the function, just the feel.

I've shown it here next to a full size miners lamp for scale. I ordered the larger of the two options because the smaller one had no option to fit a chimney which to me is an important part of the lamp.

I'm not going to light it up until the next camp by when I should have the new glass chimney. I've got to make a substantial bracket for hanging it from the bell tent centre pole but so far I'm pleased with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE