Shooting stick repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've not posted on here for a while, having been very busy with making stuff for Christmas, then having a break, but have just had a nice little job to repair a shooting stick.

A nice old "Featherwate" shooting stick, which was originally owned by the customer's grandfather. Sadly, the original leather seat has become dry and brittle, and has split, so there's little that can be done but replace it.

IMG_4648_zps4edc2f50.jpg

The first thing is to sort out a cutting pattern for the replacement seat. The leather would have stretched somewhat, so I've made a paper pattern from thick cartridge paper and tested the fit on the stick. Needless to say, I didn't try sitting on the paper seat!

IMG_4650_zpscd150fd3.jpg

The replacement is made from cow shoulder, with two pieces being stitched together, back to back, so that both sides of the seat present a nice face.

IMG_4651_zpse0d18974.jpg

The pieces are hand stitched together using linen thread. You can see the stitch positions along the two edges of the lower piece, having been marked by a pricking iron to ensure even spacing.

IMG_4652_zps96fc4656.jpg

Each of the 208 stitches is made by hand. The stitch hole is pierced using an awl, and the thread is then saddle stitched, using two threads and two needles going in opposite directions through each hole.

IMG_4654_zpsf69e0195.jpg

After colouring the cut edges, the seat is given two coats of wax polish and then fitted to the stick. Here we have the sitting position.

IMG_4655_zpsce3fd838.jpg

And finally, the folded position. Making new items is good, but it's always very rewarding to be able to bring something old back to life again.

IMG_4658_zps73cea0c3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Geoff :)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
What a great job,looks superb with the new leather.Im sure it will last many years to come:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks grand, lovely colour to that leather, too................and yes, re-furbs are very satisfying indeed, like adding a new chapter to make a good story even better!

tuatee

Mar 9, 2015
Auckland NZ
Hi Geoff,
I have a shooting stick that requires a new seat. Can you do this for me?
I am in NZ but coming to UK in May.
thanks
Pamela

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE