Shooting Fish in a Barrel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's a highly effective method of fishing which I don't think has been covered yet.
Taken from a trip last year in the jungle of Guyana, S.America.

The key ingredient.
P4270036.jpg

These roots are beaten and crushed to exude the juices within.
They are then tied into a bundle with some tree bark cordage and dipped in the water.
The juices turn the water milky and the cloud goes down through the water and has the effect of bringing any fish life to the surface.
It effectively starves them of oxygen.
P4270037.jpg

This is where the fun starts. They could easily have been scooped up by hand or with a net but why do that when you have bows and arrows? :)
Shootingfish-1.jpg

Great practise for us although this chap, one of our guides, doesn't really need it.
PB290043-1.jpg

Here's what was collected in a matter of minutes.
PB290044.jpg

The effects of the root don't last forever and eventually the water regains its balance and any fish that didn't get caught make a recovery.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's some more of the standard fare. Albeit caught using more conventional methods apart from having to use strands of Land Rover clutch cable as hook links due to the sharp toothedness of the river inhabitants!

Piranha
P4250016.jpg

Hymara (sp?) These bugg3rs have got big teeth.
hymara.jpg

Electric Eel, although not technically an eel at all. Still pretty mean though.
PB300046.jpg

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
in with the little ones in the 5th pic you have a variety of aquarium fish lol! you have a small catfish, some rainbowfish, a few tetras and a couple of loaches as well as what look like some little piranha.
did you cook everything? how were the small fish?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
in with the little ones in the 5th pic you have a variety of aquarium fish lol! you have a small catfish, some rainbowfish, a few tetras and a couple of loaches as well as what look like some little piranha.
did you cook everything? how were the small fish?

Small stuff - Cooked them up wrapped in some kukrit leaves, it's all boney as hell but it's food. God bless condiments like salt and pepper.
Piranha - nice, would eat again.
Catfish - Ok, did a "catfish boiley stew type thing"
Hymara's fine, my main rule for fish is that the predators taste better than the grazers. Totally the opposite for land animals.
The Eel - I never tried it, think I was whammed on rum and asleep in my hammock at the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE