Shooting an underlever.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
santaman2000: 12ga x 3" x 1 9/16 #4 is entirely adequate for turkey. I shoot George Trulock XF turkey hokes.
The NE corner of WA and the SE corner of BC is the densest populaton of Merriam turkeys on the continent.
Man, have we had a fun time.
I'm the dude on the home page.
www.kettleriverguides.ca

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's too bad that you can't get the link, I can. 7:30AM, end of April, up some unknown mountainside, sunrise, coffee and dead bird.
The frost on the shrubbery was gone, the logging clear cut gave us a view of the landscape that you can see behind me.
In my travels, that bird fed 5 at Kettle, 3 in Summerland, 4 in Vancouver, 2 on the ranch above Cache Creek and 2 more in Prince George.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Sorry, I was referring to lever rifles albeit I acknowledge there aren't too many States left that allow turkey hunting with a cast bullet from a 22 Hornet, Bee, Rem Jet or 25-20 let alone a 45-70!

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
When i was keepering i used this for a while calibre was 30-30

it was small enough to still carry while carrying bags of wheat etc.

Then i found something smaller in 44 mag

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Unless you have an extraordinary opportunity for a cast bullet, turkeys are gallinaceous birds, their heads and necks are constantly on the move. Like all grouse.
Neck shots are the norm here. As I claimed in #22, big loads of heavy shot, neck shots, will do the job just fine and dandy.
Musat admit that it was a few years ago but I can still taste that bird. Dang but it was good!
Sadly, I live at 53N which makes it a very long drive to the Kootenays for a serious turkey shoot.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Apologies...take a look at Countryman's post above or have a Google, plenty bout this in the shooting press. He's also put a link to the petition if you are a supporter of shooting.

I'll have a look about. The worrying bit (to my mind) in the original link was this:
We have plenty of work to do here in Europe to make sure handguns, rifles and assault weapons do not end up in the hands of criminals
To blanket lump all rifles in with assault weapons (military tool for killing) and handguns (easily concealed) is more than a tad worrying.
I've had conversations with people where I simply couldn't convince them that a 22lr single-shot target pistol should not be classed with, say a 9mm Glock with a 15 round magazine. The sentence I've quoted is putting all rifles in the category of "dangerous weapon with a single purpose; killing people".

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Correct. cartridge firing handguns are banned but hard to define - so anything over 24" with a 12" barrel is okay

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I was watching hicock firing an 1894 marlin 44 octagonal barrel cowboy limited. I want one!

Ammo seems expensive. How much money do you save by reloading 44 magnum yourself?

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
.38 in my club is £28/100 but I can reload it for +\- £13.50 /100
.44 isn't available in my club - it's too darn expensive. It was £53.00 per 100. I can reload .44 at about £18.00 per 100

However the other key factor here is accuracy. You will never compete with factory ammo against a shooter with the same skill level using reloads tailored to their rifle.

Humane dispatch pistols are pretty much always restricted to 2 shots now. Another little nasty of UK law is that they cannot have been produced anywhere with an illegal barrel length then modified for delivery to the UK.

Even Taurus can't be bothered making UK spec revolvers now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
UK legal revolver . . ..
New_model_Army_IMG_3544.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
.38 in my club is £28/100 but I can reload it for +\- £13.50 /100
.44 isn't available in my club - it's too darn expensive. It was £53.00 per 100. I can reload .44 at about £18.00 per 100

Wow I had not realised it was that much of a saving!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
That's a "Black Powder Gun" therefore it escaped the '96 ban. Didn't count as a pistol.

I figure that's about 30 pence a shot for my load.

Yup reloading doesn't take long to recoup your investment.

.308 rounds however I move to high accuracy. I figure these cost me £0.50 a shot and I can buy milsurp for that but the nearest thing to the quality of my match ammo is £1.10 per pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Another advantage of loading your own is the availability of ammunition. You'll not be able to hold a large amount at one time so if you don't have a local supplier you'll be making plenty of trips to stock up. If you load your own you can keep unlimited parts (primers, non-expanding heads, powder etc).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE