Shock Cord Loops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Morning All,

I'm planning on using my snugpak Jungle bag as an impromptu underquilt while trying hammocking.

The general plan at the moment is to; at the foot and head ends run a short loop of shock cord and hoop that over the top and bottom of the tarp. Along the sides I want to put 3 pairs of shock cord loops that will allow me to throw a line with toggles on over the ridge line and pop the toggles through the loops.

Has anyone stitched shock cord loops before, if so, how? Also would it be easier with a machine or by hand?

Cheers,

Ollie

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Rather than stitching the loops in it's better if you pre stretch the loop and whip it or use zip ties to lock it in place.

That way when the loop is put under tension then it won't slip when it becomes thinner.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For making shock cord loops, I have found double fisherman's knot works well. For attaching to the hammock, which I think the question was about, I would not try to sew them directly, rather I would sew in webbing loops and put the shock cord through that.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As you're 'trying it out' I'd be tempted to do something less permanent to start with.

If I've understood what you're planning, I'm a bit worried that if you fasten it with shock cord over the tarp you'll pull it too tight up to the bottom of the hammock and you'll loose some insulation; ideally there should be a gap.

Have a look at this photo 'borrowed' from DD for their underblanket (which is not a bad piece of kit to be honest). The end elastic cords are held onto the main hammock line using small aluminium carabiners. The sides fasten to the edge of the hammock so, as you get in and out, the underblanket moves with the hammock.

In your case I'd use some of the cheap tarp clips (link below) to fasten to your jungle bag and then similar (or even just bulldog clips) to the hammock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GuangTouL-...d=1&keywords=tarp+clips&qid=1582742321&sr=8-7

DD_Underblanket_02b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE