Shipping/bringing knives home from US to UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Hi, I’m hoping to get out to the US next month if the entire planet isn’t a nuclear wasteland by then. If I find a knife or two out there and want to bring them home am I OK to just stick them in my suitcase?

It wouldn’t be anything crazy, probably just a Bark River Bushcrafter or maybe a Paramilitary 2 or something. Obviously I’m not stupid enough to put them in my hand luggage, I just wondered if there were issues with sticking them in a suitcase or would Customs take offence?

Anyone done this before? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I think hold luggage is fine.
I took a Mora to the USA for a trip a few years ago and returned with a few other knives. No bother.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Keep the purchase paperwork, you may need to prove tax was paid at point of purchase....a friend recommended that to me ages ago when I purchased guns and knives in France and brought them back, of course I had to get special paperwork to do this, but needed every purchase order at the point of sale.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
should be no problem, keep it in your checked in suitcase, i have done it both ways. Make sure there are no handlematerials like mamoth bone or other species that are not allowed to be imported.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Keep the purchase paperwork, you may need to prove tax was paid at point of purchase....a friend recommended that to me ages ago when I purchased guns and knives in France and brought them back, of course I had to get special paperwork to do this, but needed every purchase order at the point of sale.

Will do. Thanks.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
I bring my axe and a few knives (including F1) into the UK from my home country in my checked luggage. I had no problem.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
A word of advice, buy your knives online from one of the 'good' vendors (not Amazon or eBay), and have them shipped to your hotel or to a friend.

Online quality knives are a LOT CHEAPER than buying them in a retail store. If you are staying at a 'good' hotel, ask about ordering ahead and having them hold them for your arrival.

If you are coming to Dallas, Texas or Oklahoma City, I can help as well!

Reactions: Brizzlebush

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Regarding flying, I have flown all over the world with a knife in checked baggage. Some places will phreak out if it is deemed a 'military' knife. Folders and reasonable fixed blades have never given me a problem but, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
I agree with most of the guys , as an additional I have always kept the wrapped in original boxes or wrapping of course with relevant purchase paperwork, if it’s a small folder I keep it boxed in my toiletries bag , no- one would ever look in that.;))))
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE