shiny things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've been thinking about upgrading my flashlight for a little while, i currently carry one of these http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/6685/sn/LED7636TP (mine's actually a slightly older model but lets not split hairs).

i carry a petzl tikka as my main sorce of light and an el cheepo LED keyfob thingy on a cord round my neck (the keyfob torch mainly gets used for finding my headtorch!) so the flashlight's only really in case of emergency.

i like the fact that the flashlight i use at the moment takes AAA batteries because they'll fit in the petzl and also my radio/walkman thingy so i can get away with one set of spare batteries for everything.

i quite like the price of my flashlight as well, at thirty quid i'm not too concerned about it getting broken/lost/stolen by squirrels etc.

to be honest there's absolutely nothing wrong with the torch i've got at the moment, it's fine. i just can't get the niggly thought out of my head though that there's probably something much better on the market now, my torch is about four years old (ish) and four years is a long time for technology. so, any thoughts people?

to re-cap, i'm looking for a torch that's roughly the same size as the one i've got - 29grams - approx 70mm in length, that takes AAA batteries, obviously as bomb proof as possible, not too pricey, and it's got to significantly out perform the one i've already got.

ideas please, especially from anyone who owns the same torch as me.

thanks in advance,

stuart

A

ANN

id say get a headtorch as they are so bright and strong (tough) and are quite efficient and are very cheap and light and small to carry around!! phew, long sentence.....

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
id say get a headtorch as they are so bright and strong (tough) and are quite efficient and are very cheap and light and small to carry around!! phew, long sentence.....

already got a headtorch ann, petzl tikka, it's pretty much always in either my coat pocket or my bag

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Have you seen Fenix?
this is their single AAA torch- I don't know of any twin AAAs
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l0d_q4.html

just had a look at the website and on candle power forums and they look pretty interesting, the few bits that i read on the forum seemed to praise them.

i don't really understand the lumen/candlepower/angry gloworm thing. what i really want know is; what kind of area can it illuminate, and how far away will it illuminate an object/area?

have you got one of these bozle?

stuart

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Off the top of my head
1candle power =13 lumens=13 m(petzl figures)

the areas they illuminate depend on the beam shape created by the reflector- ie long thin vs wide and short or a combination of the two.

Heres a few comparative beamshots
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38142466@N00/

I use the L0DCE as edc and its done everything I need- for real power and runtime outdoors I tend to go with a headtorch (at max power the fenix runs out in about an hour on normal alkalines)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE