Shining Cliff Woods - An offer

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
Another one of my faves is to throw a pineapple on some coals and leave it for a few hours. when you cut it open even the core is soft and juicy.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Sweet potato is amazing cooked on the coals... took 2 hours this weekend for it to be ready, but the wait was worth it.

One thing I've been meaning to try out is parsnip... may have to bring some to find out.

Eggs on skewers... worth a try.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
I'm out in north wales this weekend, going to chuck a few sweet potatoes in my bag before I go :D

Not sure how to get an egg on a skewer though dewi I can see that being a messy affair!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That was where I saw it! Think it is such a good idea... also wondered whether you could tap a hole in the top of an egg and place it in the coals to cook... worth a try.

Going to start taking some Tim Horton's coffee with me on camping trips as well... been looking up filtering methods.

If you do that make sure you burst the membrane and make the hole a decent size. Just like I didn't! :lmao:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
So large hole, nicely cooked egg... small hole, scrambled egg spread across a wide area.

What do you reckon about filters for the coffee? I'm not really into cowboy coffee... but on the other hand I'm not into tramping through the woods with a cafetiere. Thought I'd found a good method using throwaway filters and a staple gun, but it makes for a weak coffee... no point in a weak coffee, defeats the point of having a coffee.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
So large hole, nicely cooked egg... small hole, scrambled egg spread across a wide area.

What do you reckon about filters for the coffee? I'm not really into cowboy coffee... but on the other hand I'm not into tramping through the woods with a cafetiere. Thought I'd found a good method using throwaway filters and a staple gun, but it makes for a weak coffee... no point in a weak coffee, defeats the point of having a coffee.

It's a lot like the Blackadder protocol for stepping on a landmine then!
Got coffee covered. I have a specific coffee Milbank bag. And a loose tea one, and a water one, and a spare... I like Milbank bags and they're one of the few things I can sew without having to ask Steph to fix it

Last edited:

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
I can bring eggs - lots of em. Fresh from our chickens.

Also, I will sort the bacon from the farmer - proper old school back bacon, each strip is about 3 ft long!

I can bring filter papers for the coffee and small plastic filter holder, its a case of one cup at a time but works well. Or as when I was was in India, wire an old sock over the top of the pot and string through that...... :)

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
That sounds amazing rhyan! It makes me wonder though since there's 8 of us and a few of you guys have access to some proper nice food, tea, & coffee (probably way more than enough!) should a couple of us just concentrate on bringing whiskey, beer and whatever other survival essentials we need? ;)

It just seems like 8 people bringing a metric ton of food each would be overkill. I don't mind getting a few bottles of scotch or a couple of crates of whatever beer we want if it helps share the load.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
With this being a new camp for all of us, there is going to be some prep work... we have a parachute, but it ain't going to haul itself up in the air. We have a fire pit, but it won't light itself.

I'd worry less about what we're all bringing and think more about getting ourselves comfortable for the weekend.

As long as we each bring a bit of something, between eight of us we'll have plenty to eat and drink... main thing, given the time of year, will be keeping the fire fed, keeping the rain off and having a laugh :)

Food wise, we've got a plan for the two nights... by the sounds of it Rhyan has breakfast covered, so maybe the best thing to bring is good humour and some stories to tell around the campfire. Anything else is a bonus :)

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Fair point dewi. It's easy to get carried away with the planning...

Just out of curiosity, how on earth do you hang a parachute anyway?

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Having been shown by some helpful gents at North Wood first hand.... cast a line into a tree, secure a rope, carabiner the parachute to said rope and haul.

If that sounds confusing, it did to me when I read it on the forum, but first hand seeing it, it is straight forward and relatively easy to do.

I was shown numerous ways to hang the parachute, how to reduce it in size, turn it into a wind breaker, a tent... all sorts.

Short of it is, combined knowledge of everyone here amounts to more than I'll ever know... but I can hang a parachute now :)

Lets just say I'm looking forward to putting what I learned into practice at Shiny Wood. I may have sneaked in some practice in my local woodlands, but that would be telling ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE