Shing pass around field knife.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I received Shings Knife last thursday,and i proceed to do the difficult job of testing and writing about it :shock: just a quick reminder of the spec, It has a carbon steel blade of 115mm(what carbon steel is it shing 01 :?: ?), its a flat ground secondary bevel edge with a cocobolo handle, it came with a leather Apache type flat leather scabbard, it needed very little sharpening to gain a good edge.

Picture1232.jpg

Upon inspection i found both knife and scabbard to be very neatly made, the scabbard was a tad big for my tastes as i prefer a folded pouch sheath, and looking at the job shing has made of this scabbard he would not having any problems making it, the stitching is very neat but a little pronounced and may be prone to wear.I think something like this would be better IMO, but nicely made Shing nether the less,

Picture1235.jpg

The blade was tempered well and stood up to splitting wood, and a little carving, chopping ect being a secondary bevel it wasn't too suited for carving or shaving feather sticks, single bevel grind is recommended here, even so i managed a little feathering on some willow and they lit with a fire steel which Connor had a blaze from in no time at all :roll:

Picture1228.jpg

Picture1211.jpg

Also the handle had a couple of hot spots or rubbing points when carving I marked the blade to show the points, the finger guard rubs the fore finger and is only really needed on fighting style knives not needed here just gets in the way abit IMO , mabe also if the scales were brought further up the blade it would give the thumb a better point to sit when carving remember a knife handle has to fit in the hand comfortably when using all types of grip so a shaped handle is not always a good idea when being used for carving ect, as the knife is held in several positions and not just with the for finger wrapped around the belly of the handle

Picture1241.jpg

All in all this is a very well made knife solid and neat, as i said its always hard to revue something like this as personal tastes do try to come in, but in conclusion very few refinements are needed to this knife to make it a good user. Well done Shing and thanks for letting me try it. Its winging its way to tomtom as I write any other things you would like to know that i have missed Shing just sing, also if anyone else has any thoughts im sure Shing will appreciate any suggestions or ideas :wink: ......over to you TT :wink:

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Thanks for the review JP, the steel is high carbon chromium alloy steel designated CS70+Cr. I'll make a new passaround when I've had comments back from all the testers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE