Shimano Exage Mini-Tele Rod - other recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
For a while I have been eyeing up that rather natty Shimano Exage Tele Mini 2.1m Spinning Rod on RM's site http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/480-Ultra-Light-Fishing-Outfit/ . I know Shimano don't produce the little blighters any more and I was rather hoping to get my hands on a 2.7m version (no chance I expect) or something a little longer. Do you know if there are any other models of telescopic rod 'out there' which have a similarly enviable reputation as these?

LBL

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Having been an angler for many years I purchased one of these telescopic rods but found it too lightweight.So I bought the 5 piece exage AX which was a bit heavier duty this collapses to about 10 inches and comes in its own hard tube an excellent bit of kit and well woth a look.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Having been an angler for many years I purchased one of these telescopic rods but found it too lightweight.So I bought the 5 piece exage AX which was a bit heavier duty this collapses to about 10 inches and comes in its own hard tube an excellent bit of kit and well woth a look.

Thank you Sapper. This is just the kind of advice I am after. Can you tell me what the most useful casting weight range is (if there is one?)

Thanks

LBL

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Hi mate , I looked at the shimano exage also , I just couldnt justify the price of it . However , In my search for an alternative I came across this little cracker , I have had it for quite a while now and have lost count of the number of trout I have caught with it, The heaviest being about 3 pounds which put a fair bend in the rod .When built the rod is about 160cm long , When broken down and in its case the kit weighs nothing . If my memory serves me right it cost about £35 .

P1030510.jpg

P1030509.jpg

Hope this info is of some use :)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Difficult to answer that one because the type of fishing you intend to do dictates the type of rod and in turn the casting weight you'd use.
For example if beachcasting you'd use a rod capable of casting upto 8 ounces,but for trout fishing a rod casting 1 ounce might seem a bit overpowered.
The rod I settled on will cast 1 ounce plus bait or a 1 ounce lure or float.
As an all round rod my suggestion would be 8-9 feet with a through action (this means it bends from the tip to the butt,unlike a tip or fast action which bends mainly in the centre to the tip of the rod) casting 1 ounce .This rod can be used for spinning,float fishing and light legering,it should be capable of landing any fish you encounter as long as you play it and not just bully the fish in.
When it comes to which manufacturer I wouldn't hesitate to recommend shimano rods( I have at least a dozen and most of them are multi-section,a few of them come with an extra piece which replaces the section next to the butt and is a foot shorter therby reducing the length of the rod by a foot but not affecting the action or casting weight(two rods for the price of one).
When I go bushy and fishing I take a selection of spinners,hooks and lures.I also take some lead weights and lead shot this gives me the option of using spinners that are too light for the rod to cast by adding lead until i reach the casting weight of the rod.I can always make a spinner heavy enough to make the rod work but if the spinner or lure is already to heavy then you cant use it properly,Although I have no worries about using a 1 ounce rod to lob out a 3 ounce weight as long a sit's done gently and I don't expect to cast more than about 20 feet.
What I have done in the past to get a really heavy bait out deep is to set up the rod as normal and hold it in one hand with the bail arm on the reel open and then with my other hand throw the bait out,I have done this with a whole mackeral as a pike bait.
Any other questions ,don't hesitate to ask.
I'll have a rummage in the shed tomorrow and see what I've got up there for you ,bound to be somethingin there.

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
Hi mate , I looked at the shimano exage also , I just couldnt justify the price of it . However , In my search for an alternative I came across this little cracker , I have had it for quite a while now and have lost count of the number of trout I have caught with it, The heaviest being about 3 pounds which put a fair bend in the rod .When built the rod is about 160cm long , When broken down and in its case the kit weighs nothing . If my memory serves me right it cost about £35 .

P1030510.jpg

P1030509.jpg

Hope this info is of some use :)
Do you remember where you purchased this from? looks perfect for my needs.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

I've been fishing for years and have spent more that I should have done on rods to indulge my passion. My best mate and I fish often, like quality kit and don't mind paying for it.

A few years ago we bought £20 telescopic rods made by Shakespeare, these are not high end by any stretch but have served as well as the £150 rods we own.

I have caught carp and pike over 10lb on the Shakespeare telescopic rod, have used it with spinners, floats and freelined baits. they don't seem to make the version we have any more but a quick search came up with this which looks just as good. I'd go for the 9ft version as the casting weights are about right for all round fishing.

http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/RODS/ss397tele.htm

Ray mears sells some great kit but his fishing gear is well over priced, do yourself a favour and go to you local tackle shop or buy from a reputable online shop like bos (in the link).

Finally I'd say that I would not spend loads on a rod for bushcraft use, it might get damaged at some point and a cheaper rod is easier to replace. That said my £20 rod is still going strong!

Barry

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
LBL, I've been searching the net for this little beauty

http://www.castaway-tackle.co.uk/952/Shakespeare-Odyssey-Travel-Spin-9ft.html?referrer=froogle

I have been at this lark for 40 years and like others, have accumulated all types of rods, fly travel, beach and coarse, Shimano, Daiwa Zziplex etc, always wanted a nice rod to pack away easily when going abroad and found this one which I cannot fault.

I've had it for quite a number of years and it has never let me down, I took some pics but cannot find the lead for me laptop to show yer. It breaks down in to four pieces, its been abused by others when abroad too and is still in great condition, if it ever breaks I'd buy another immediately.

I use this rod with an Exage 1000,
http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/REELS/sh877coarse.htm

a lovely small powerful reel for its size, shop around for a good price.
icon12.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE