Shemagh Wearing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
We should try to find all the uses of the shemagh, like Hitch Hikers guide (except no with towels). In case you didnt know, the babel fish was in the hitck Hikers guide!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
USMC in Portsmouth sell the "Cheches" head scarves in light tan, black and central-european cammo for £8.95.
Their phone number is 0870-7525500. :p

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
ChrisKavanaugh said:
You lot look like a bunch of bored Elvis impersonators who just discovered T.E. Lawrence :nana: I want a real brit brolly to go with my sabre while reading Sir Richard Burton's fascinating works. Seriously, I do, really. Any websites? No Red Chinese rubbish either.
Hi Chris, these guys are the real deal, New Oxford Street in London. Unfortunately no webshop but interesting anyway.
http://www.james-smith.co.uk/main.htm

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
ChrisKavanaugh said:
You lot look like a bunch of bored Elvis impersonators who just discovered T.E. Lawrence :nana: I want a real brit brolly to go with my sabre while reading Sir Richard Burton's fascinating works. Seriously, I do, really. Any websites? No Red Chinese rubbish either.

The T.E.Lawrence brigade are still trying to buy Brough Superiors.

Are you working through the whole of Burton's translations done for the Kama Shastra sociesty?

Keith.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Buckshot said:
Do shemaghs come in different sizes or have I just got a big head? :yikes:

I know this is an old thread, but.....

I've just bought a cheap shemagh off ebay. Under a fiver with free P&P. I excitedly tried the wrapping techniques recommended on this thread but gave up when none of them seemed to add up. Then I got my tape measure out. :thinkerg: The shemagh barely measures three feet by three and a half feet. Nowhere near the four to five feet square you need to do a convincing Lawrence of Arabia impersonation. No wonder it was cheap. :aargh4: Oh well, it'll make a nice table cloth. :eek:

sargey said:
i was going to say, throw the shemagh in the bin and get a cheche...

I don't want to buy another shemagh, so I think I'll hem a piece of cotton to make a 6' x 4' cheche. The German links for cheche tying no longer work, so I'm hoping that some desert dwelling bushcrafter can offer a few pointers on how to tie it. :)

havingagiraffe said:
I know this is an old thread, but.....

I've just bought a cheap shemagh off ebay. Under a fiver with free P&P. I excitedly tried the wrapping techniques recommended on this thread but gave up when none of them seemed to add up. Then I got my tape measure out. :thinkerg: The shemagh barely measures three feet by three and a half feet. Nowhere near the four to five feet square you need to do a convincing Lawrence of Arabia impersonation. No wonder it was cheap. :aargh4: Oh well, it'll make a nice table cloth. :eek:

I don't want to buy another shemagh, so I think I'll hem a piece of cotton to make a 6' x 4' cheche. The German links for cheche tying no longer work, so I'm hoping that some desert dwelling bushcrafter can offer a few pointers on how to tie it. :)
If what you've got is what I think you've got, I used one for years on a motor bike as a scarf and for that they were superb. I used to wear mine by folding it into a triangle with the tip hanging down my chest, wrap ends around my neck so that they crossed over at the back of my neck and then dangle down my chest. Made a huge difference to staying warm.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Motorbike Man said:
If what you've got is what I think you've got, I used one for years on a motor bike as a scarf and for that they were superb. I used to wear mine by folding it into a triangle with the tip hanging down my chest, wrap ends around my neck so that they crossed over at the back of my neck and then dangle down my chest. Made a huge difference to staying warm.

Yup, that's exactly what I've got. You're right, it makes a great scarf. :) Unfortunately, that's not what I had in mind when I bought it. :( I was actually looking for something the same but bigger so I can look like BCUK moderator Stuart's avatar. :rolleyes:

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Motorbike Man said:

hey thats exactly how i wear mine!

i'm seldom seen without esp this time of year.its fantastic.

i got it five or six years ago when i asked my folks to bring me back one from egypt. its the real deal not like alot of these that seemed to have cropped up of late (some music-student-fop-fashion thing!).

genuine egyptian cotton...mmmm....luuuuvly :)

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
After reading all of this I really want one :( . Even though I still cant work out how to pronounce the word shemagh :eek: .

Anyone know of any palces to get them on the cheap??? ;)

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I use the black/OG shemagh as my main scarf in the winter. Its quite light, very warm and doesnt chaff like fleece or wool. I lost one last year on the Langdale Pikes, it was persistantly raining and I made a fine hat out of it. When the sun came out I tied it to the back of my pack to dry - unfortunately the knot didn't hold and its probably still up there. Got another for £5. Can't go wrong.

I tried the cheche but it was far to large and unwieldy for the UK - sent it back to USMC.

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
Dunelm said:
I use the black/OG shemagh as my main scarf in the winter. Its quite light, very warm and doesnt chaff like fleece or wool.

A mate went over in 03-04 to Afghanastan to instruct Afghan Cav. Scouts. I ask him prior to departing the states to send one back, he sent, on ein OD/Black,and sevral lighter ones . The od/black serves me also in winter. Great piece of kit. Im going to try and collect a tan/black one ,also

I

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Rollnick said:
We should try to find all the uses of the shemagh, like Hitch Hikers guide (except no with towels). In case you didnt know, the babel fish was in the hitck Hikers guide!

I used to wear one of these when I was younger and on a large numnber of demonstrations. One could cover face and head against those police-photographers anmd waterthrowers. :)
Nowadays its a fashion-article, those unpolitical and consume-happy younbgster dont even know what it means. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE