Shelter tarps with no guy lines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Pitching your tarp diagonally reduces the number of guylines you need from 4 to 2 - in this arrangement I have often been able to tie these two corner guylines to other nearby trees, rather than having to put pegs into the ground to tie to. This can significantly reduce the length of your guylines to only a foot or two, which is short enough that you can just remember the tree its tied to and avoid that, instead of the huge length of line that you might ordinarily run away from the tarp.

Of course this relies on a suitable number of trees in your area :D

Personally, I sleep too cold to generally use a hammock except in the midst of summer (although they are very comfy) - and I generally use a tarp pitched as follows:

http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~mrichar1/images//2005-07 BushcraftUK Scottish Meet/Match/8.jpg

(Note I also use a bivvy bag in this setup, or a second ground-sheet).

Mar 26, 2009
Scotland
I use static cord that climbers use for tarp guy lines. They are mostly black but with subtle reflective yellow diagonal print. During the day they are pretty discreet but a headtorch lights them up like a christmas tree!!!!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
An old thread, but I have been looking at these...
219-0180023SPA69UC457062X.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0180023/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

...with a view to putting one over our hike tent / bivvi bag to extend the living space when out with the kids.

Simon

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have to say nothing can be as bad as those canvas tents the scouts use . if you manage to trip over the first guy line you end up with them bloody great tent pegs getting you in the knee , the plums , the sternum and the face in one go ! I saw this happen once , not a good result .
Pumbaa

:lmao: :lmao: You owe me one new keyboard, and a cup of tea :lmao: :lmao:

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I don't know if this has been mentioned but is there any reason why you could not make a skeleton out of wood so there is a complete frame?

I am meaning a square/shape of ur tapr lashed together. Then 4 or 6 or however many you want poles dug into the ground for stability going vertically up then the square lased to those - giving you a structure - you could further stabilise it by doing cross bars diagonally acros two sides, leaving to sides free for entry.

Then all you do is lash the Tarp to the square (roof).

You could even put in a centre pole and then angle the tapr down slightly still securing it to the posts of the structure.

If it was strong enough you could tie a hammock to it or even make an elevated flat bed.

all would be contained in the structure - ok it may look a bit fancy but for more than a weekend would be a home away from home.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Slightly lateral thinking but seeing as the length of the tarp is variable...

You could try 2 poles, one at each of the ends, but sloping somewhat into the footprint, about 60 degrees, rather than upright, with a very taught ridgeline ( also guyed straight down from each but not essential )to keep the poles under compression. Then 2 further guys on each pole but attached 2/3 of the way up the pole and pulling down and out to the edge of the footprint.
Could use a similar method if required, on a smaller scale, on each corner to have a floating tarp.

Trying it out as a test with a single length of bivi pole on my bedroom floor (and tying off to vairous bits of furniture leg) I was surprised that it was a lot more stable than I was expecting.

It should be easier to do if you only want the one entrance raised and the other end of the tarp to the ground as you'd stake the lowered end down first.

If you have the end of the pole designed like a trekking pole basket that'd help stop it sinking into the ground

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
This is the best I can do. Oh...there is a guyline from the basha pole (but that's because it was really windy at the weekend) :rolleyes: The ridgeline rope was loose as I was experimenting.

DSC00043.jpg

Pablo

That's pretty much the way I was thinking but replacing the front guy with 2 going sideways, attaching with a clove hitch 2/3rds of the way up the pole enables you to have some forward positioning angle on the side guys while remaining within the footprint. Though a single guy 1/2 to 2/3rds up the pole would do it and be inline with the pole, so less chance to entangling it it.

Though if your tarp was strong enough and anchor points firm enough it should be possible to use the slopping pole method to do away with the ridge and guys lines altogether, wouldn't think it's work too well in the rain due to material stretching, also in your example I'd have the ridge as an under ridge, to help keep it dry, for the same reason.

To pitch it solo with both ends open I'm guessing it'd be best to peg the corners of the tarp down first, I'd also go for a ridgeline that can be shortened/tension by having 2 prussics and a mini crab to join them attached to it. Position both poles on the ground underneath tarp with ridgeline tied to them. Lift one ( to correct slope ) and hold in tension by pulling on the ridgeline, crawl to the other pole, keeping tension on the ridge, and lift that one into position, then take up the ridge tension with the prussics. That should be enough to hold it but adding an extra guy or 2, at each end, part way up the poles would stabilise it further

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've been playing in the garden with this in mind and came up with this you could substitute the peg and basha poles for local wood. the ridge line is pretty tight, the poles and guys form a hollow pyramid with the guys pulling the pole outwards at either end, and as the tarp is pegged down before putting any poles up wind isn't really a problem.

DSCF2237.jpg

DSCF2238.jpg

DSCF2239.jpg

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One of my standard tarp shelters can be almost line-free. It is the style with one corner tied high (about 2 m) to a tree, and the others down on the ground (flying V?). You really want one line from the center, or it will sag, but that can be vertial to an overhanging branch and thus should be ok.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I saw a guy bloke put bits of white insulation tape on guy lines that were close to the path everyone was taking to get to the river on a site, i also noticed a few glow in the dark lines the same weekend. I got up in the middle of the night and spotted the bits of white tape better than the glowing guys. Though it must be said, i don't generally get out of my hammock and go wandering about in the woods without a TORCH!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE