Shelter at Meetup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

I am planning to use

• Hammock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tent

• Bivvi bag

• Basha/Tarp

• Something else ...

• Nothing!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Just wanted to find out what kind of shelter people are planning for the meetup...

:wave:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Cool idea ...

Hey Stuart is it likely that we'll be able to build natural shelters? (Or could we possibly bring the 'ingredients' ourselves ...?)

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Nope I'm in my bivvi as usual! I might put up a basha sheet too if it's really chucking it down... but with some good luck it will be dry and it won't be an issue! Funnily enough I've never bivvied in woods before ... so it'll be a bit of a new experience for me! (So it's not entirely out of the question that you guys'll spot me putting up a basha simply because I'm scared witless! :spider: :lol: :roll:)

The "parrot shoot" - took me a while to get that! :) - is for the back garden - tired of the rain putting my fires out! :wink:

Ooh I'm getting excited now ... :hyper: Need more smilies ... :hump: :burnout: :yup: :smokin: :drive: :cheers:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
You wanna see how many kath is taking!!!! :eek:): :yikes: :sword: :eek:\\:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Kath said:
Cool idea ...

Hey Stuart is it likely that we'll be able to build natural shelters? (Or could we possibly bring the 'ingredients' ourselves ...?)

If you were to bring the ingredients then it would probably be ok, the thing is that it would have too much impact for a load of people to start building them so there is a general rule of no natural shelters being built. I can picture 2000 tons of leaf litter being gathered into a 100 metre area in the woods!! :yikes:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
One thing to consider about importing you own materials is that you might be importing something foriegn to the eco-system which could (theoretically) cause the estate long term problems be it fungal spores, microbs or even insects ect. Remember the area is SSI and as such special concideration should be taken.

Besides, with the best will in the world, you'd need a lord load of leaf litter to thatch a shelter how you going to get that there? :?:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Awwww kath now I feel like a grumpy old man!

I was just pointing out that part of what we do is looking after these areas - and as such we need to think carefully about our interaction with them.

Remember the mink freers? - they had the best intentions but ..........

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
(Hey Gary - cheers mate, it's not a problem. :wink: I just remembered the general rule about building shelters and thought I'd ask ... :wave:)

The tarps are just beating the tents by a nose (well Jamie is last in on the tarps and he has a very nice nose! :lol:) so anyone else going to state a preference?

There must be more hammock people!

And surely I can't be the only one in a bivvi bag? (.. er perhaps I should rephrase that ... :naughty:)

:wave:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
kath said:
And surely I can't be the only one in a bivvi bag?
I doubt you will be the only one. You'll probably find that alot of people are going to use bivi's but under a tarp or basha.... and thats the way they voted.

:)
Ed

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
would like to try my hammock/tarp out but unfortuanately SWMBO wouldn't be too impressed if I left her in the tent on her own :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE