Shed painting

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi chaps,

I no this isn't bushcraft at all, but I got myself a new to me shed yesterday.

Although this isn't gonna be a man cave for me it means that I can transfer all the kids stuff in it and u can have the ok shed as my man cave!!

Anyway the new shed is in desperate need if a good paint, obviously it isn't the best weather to do it so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good shed paint that can be applied to damp/wet wood and seal it from the elements?

Also for my man cave in thinking about putting some fibre glass insulation in it, do you think this will help with the damp etc??

As always cheers for your help
All the best
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Paint it with cuprenol wood preserver before any thing else and it will need recited every 1-2 years and forget fibreglass it's a pain also useless when wet as it compresses through time use jabfloor or kingspan and cut it to shape with a saw. The tighter the fit the warmer your shed!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Any timber needs to be dry before putting any coating on it, or it will fall off and give no protection.

The above advice about preserving is sound, this should be the basis for any exterior paint. Kingspan too-cheap as chips and clean to work with.

Your on a damage limitation project at this time of year, its impossible to do it right til next spring at least unless we get a heatwave. Do it right next year with decent paint and it will last 5+ years before it needs touching. For this year, put some spirit based preservative on it, then again next year and then coat in the finish product.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Regarding insulation we used jablite sheets,also kingspan but this is very expensive to buy.

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
jacko i have some 10 to 15mm sheets of foam with plastick each side of it have no idea what it is called but i just lined out my shed roof with it im sure there is plenty to line your shed out if you would like it.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
One of the best coatings of its type in the world that Gill, it won't stay stuck to wet timber though. If you rate Butinox, try Demidekk Ultimate ;)

Great stuff Pete certainly the best i have come across ,done all my sheds with it in the summer.Not saw the other stuff you mentioned Yet.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
jacko i have some 10 to 15mm sheets of foam with plastick each side of it have no idea what it is called but i just lined out my shed roof with it im sure there is plenty to line your shed out if you would like it.

Your a gent!!
That would be awesome.
Is it something that could be posted?

Thanks for all the other replys chaps

Leave only footprints take only memories

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
You could paint the INSIDE of the shed with cuprinol and it will soak through the timber from the dry side I have done this many times am tempted to say it drives out any moisture from the inside out but am not confident enough in my knowledge of the stuff to say I'm right! You can paint creosote on your shed if it's only damp and not sapping wet but it leaves you with a black shed.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
ducks back is good paint too,water just runs off so never gets wet.as for insulation i used old polystyrene packaging ,works a treat,when i light the wood burner it just gets too warm!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE