Sheath making advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hi guys I was thinking of folding over the top edge of my nordic style sheath. Can I glue it with epoxy prior to wet forming the leather or try after it's made and dry? Hope this makes sense. Take!

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
There are several youtube videos on these sheaths, might be worth a look, as there are different ways to do it.
You can glue the seam after it has been wet formed and dried, you will need something long and thin to do it with.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am in awe of many of the leather workers on this forum who have posted pictures of there work, however it has not deterred me from having a go and I have made a variety of sheaths in various ways including hand sewing which I am not very good at and rivetting. Folding over and rivetting is very effective in that if the rivets are on the the side where the edge goes, it prevents what would otherwise be the stitching from being cut. If I have soft leather and I want something a little rigid, then I use carboard inside waterproofed and stiffened with varnish, well why not, I have never been taught the proper way to do things so I experiment. I have made wet form pouches for tobacco tins, and generally I have wet formed them after I have stitched them.

Reactions: zornt

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I agree with Stew, but I would add that it’s probably a good idea to first skive the leather on the flesh side, where it’s to be rolled. Tapering the thickness of the leather towards the edge being rolled gives you the nice edge finish but without making the sheath mouth clumsy and thick, which can also work against you when wet forming.

Wilko do an extra strong leather adhesive - a contact type - which is pretty good and good value. That’s what I use.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hi thanks for the replies guys. I know I can always count on loads of good advice on this forum. I decided to go for it anyway skived the edge, glued with superglue before wet forming and stitching. It's come out fine. The sheath does the job but looks pretty rough-I had real trouble with the stitching (needle wouldn't come out through the punched holes!)
But it's better than my first two so onwards an upwards! Pictures to follow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE