Sheath Inspiration

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Following Far Points thread
and the subsequent discussion on different methods of carrying your knife, I thought it would be rude not to try a method that I had not used before.
So out came the leather and needles and this is the result - the first that I'm prepared to display on a public forum, though not the first to have carried this knife. My previous attempts at leather-working had been somewhat agricultural to say the least.

IMG_2209.jpg

What do you recon?

And if you've been inspired by the same topic to make something new, why not show it here for us all to see.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Edit - the colours from the staining are not as bright as they appear, though they may well mature even more over time.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Really nice sheath, I like the shape, nice lines, nice knife by the way. How do you find the dangler sheath to wear? I found it a bit weird to get used to, but now I find them comfortable to wear.

Simon.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I reckon that looks stunning Pete - thats about as close to my ideal sheath design as you can get - what do you think? Comfy?

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice sheath Pete, I like the pattern.
I was thinking about making a dangler for my next sheath.
Very good example fella!:cool:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
To be honest,
having only completed it on saturday, I can't say that I've given it sufficient time for a fair trial, though first impressions are certainly promising. The colouration is from using too small a brush to apply some very cheap dye. I'll have to wait for it to aquire the polished look that comes with age, but I'm quietly pleased with this one.

Thank you for your positive comments.

Ogri the trog

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
You should be pleased with it it looks a good strong sheath, I like the colouring on the leather it has an aged effect already, and in time it will look even better, have you waxed the leather or treated it in any way?.

Simon.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like it, the tiger stripe effect looks quite nice. Not sure what the proper method is after staining leather, but I reckon some good old fashioned tan kiwi on top of that with a bit of a brush will have it shiney and nice. May stop any colour wearing off on you when damp too.

Nice job!

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I made this one as a christmas present for one of my scouting colleagues. I had it back a couple of weeks ago to decorate and finish the sheath. My first attempt at leatherwork, thank you to everyone who has given advice and written tutorials. I did try to persuade Becca to have a new sheath but she was quite adamant that she was happy with the mark 1, in spite of the mistakes and wobbly stitching.

Between the dangler and belt loop is a big keyring, so if the owner decides against the dangler then it can be taken off without having to redo stitching, or put a hacksaw through the ring.

beccas1.jpg

beccas2.jpg

beccas3.jpg

beccas4.jpg

beccas5.jpg

Becca is also Kaa at Cubs, hence the snake images.
Blade is Frost Lapplander 75.
Scales are Terminalia, finished with raw Linseed oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE