Sheath for a Subcom folding knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I recently 'discovered' and got myself a Subcom folder (designed by Daywalker on British Blades). I've developed a very soft spot for this knife which, although compact, is really nicely designed, non-threatening and very useful, day to day.

So, I've found myself carrying it round all the time (when I've a good reason etc, etc). However, it shows up a problem that I always have with clipped knives - If I carry a clipped knife, I like it to be on my right hand side, but I also carry my wallet in my right hand hip pocket and find that I constantly catch my hand on the clip / knife when going in my pocket. So rather than carry it loose in my pocket being rattled around with loose change and stuff, I decided that it's diminutive size cried out for a little belt sheath (hopefully little bigger than the belt is wide so that it wouldn't get in the way when sitting etc).

This is what I came up with. It's rough - I'm far from a competent leatherworker and this is made up from some fairly beaten up scraps that I had left. I also dropped my bottle of dye on the garage floor (Feibings spirit dye makes a good job of colouring epoxy painted concrete and does a passable job on jeans :rolleyes: ) so I left it 'natural' (i.e. blotchy!) and hot waxed it. I'm pretty happy with the design - I'm going to order some new leather and dye and try to make a better finished job.

Comments and criticism most welcome :) :

subComSheath3.jpg

subComSheath2.jpg

subComSheath4.jpg

cheers
Matt

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Looks good Matt
Interesting knife... Not seen one like that before. Perhaps I can have a look on Sunday. ;)
I think I might be tempted to put the stitching line at the back of the sheath rather than on the side to reduce the width slightly.
Other than that nice job :D

Mark

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Buckshot said:
Looks good Matt
Interesting knife... Not seen one like that before. Perhaps I can have a look on Sunday. ;)

Of course :)

Buckshot said:
I think I might be tempted to put the stitching line at the back of the sheath rather than on the side to reduce the width slightly.
Other than that nice job :D
Mark

Thanks Mark - good thinking regarding the stitch line - I'll try that for the next one!

best
Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE