Sheath for a billhook!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Does anyone know of any kind of proper sheath for the oddley shaped billhook, like the one in the recent group buy?

there was talk of someone giving it a go in leather, i just ondered if anyone knew of an alternative or manufacturer?

Any thoughts ?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Singteck is working one up right now using my bill hook as a model. I'll publish a thread as soon as he has a design he's happy with

Red

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
If the inside curve and the hook itself are cut close to the shape of the blade, you get a tight enough fit.

6b11190a.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've made a few sheathes for billhooks.

hook2.jpg
hook1.jpg

sparringhookla-1.jpg

most of the customers that I've made these for are fulltime foresters/woodland managers and use their hooks everyday. This particular example was for a buschcraft enthusiast.

oh, btw, I made the hook too ;)

Each one I make is an improvement on the last, though the variety of shapes does cause certain design problems! :rolleyes:

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
nice work Dave

i was thinking more along the lines of something lighter and easily stowable, maybe somthing you could attach to the side of your bergen or just in the side without damage to the edge or any other packed items.
any sheath would also be needed to fix onto a belt or the likes, for short term storage whilst foraging etc.

dont want much do i ! :D

all this talk and no action, perhaps i ought to try and make something myself, now that could take some time :eek:

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
swagman said:
Can some one please tell me what you use a billhook for?

Thanks.

I was just thinking the same thing. I actually have an antique billhook in the shed but apart from laying hedges I don't really know what they are used for.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, my belief is it will be great for shelter building and cutting thatch and okay for light splitting and chopping - a sort of combination axe and large knife. Never used one in anger but I'm bringing mine in February WD so you'll be welcome to play too if you like - my lean too needs a new coat of thatch apparently!

Red

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
BIllhooks are fantastic tools, though you need the right shape for what you are doing. They come with a variety of hook profiles, the straighter ones being more useful outside of hedgelaying circles but they also come in double edged forms (straight on back of a hooked blade). The doubles are blooming dangerous IMO, but I use a couple of billhooks for all sorts these days.

Down in Devon a lot of old boys use them instead of axes for everything! I just use it instead of a machete/kukri/slasher typ big knife, also instead of a small axe sometimes.
the hook i use is fairly straight with a slight downward hook (one of my own making, of course ;) ). It's about a 10" blade and I've been using it for scrub clearance, coppicing, shelter building, rope cuttin/tarp errecting, oh and I even put it into a cutting comp at a Belgium knife show in november :D

I've not got around to a sheath for mine yet (mostly coz I was supposed to be selling it, but needed a billhook at short notice myself :rolleyes: ) so it just gets a bit of split hose held on with rubber bands to keep the edge away from things in my bag.

B

bushyboo

hi ive got a billhook and use it quite a lot ,sometimes more than my axe
its one of the double edge ones

STA70687.jpg

would love to make a sheath for it but dont know where to start
so if anybody got any sugestions would love to hear them, i just wrap it up in a cloth at the moment :eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Singteck has completed the first sheath, but, being the pefectionist he is, wants to do a "version 2" with some tweaks and improvements.

I can post version 1 if anyone wants to see how its progressing?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here you go

341418603_0fa0d15674.jpg

341418607_a4e4f641d1.jpg

Quote from the perfectionist,,,,

The top of the sheath you will notice, is sewn. This was intended to prevent the bill hook being pulled up and cutting the welt on the curved part....... but it's more difficult to unsheath now, sigh. Anyway the whole sheath is a little too tight.

Next one, I think, will be without the top stitch and only one press stud and the cover flap is only at the top.

Red

B

bushyboo

Nice sheath
what grade of leather was used as ive never made a sheath before i need to know what works best for shaping / sewing

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea mate - I've never made a sheath!

You'd need to ask Singteck. I should drop him a PM if I was you - all I can say is use whatever he does cos the quality is amazing. If you hang on a few days, I'm sure he'll send me the finished stuff and will be happy to discuss the pros and cons of a variety of designs with you. Mines a newton not a Yorkshire (which I think is that pattern name for one with a blade on the back like yours)

Red

B

bushyboo

thanks for the info mate
il just hold off just now as im going to have a go at a new handle the one on it is a bit loose and ive got a nice piece of mahogany just itching to be used

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
This is one I made for my billhook just before christmas. I had some leather scraps and needed one quickly. I was going out in the woods to try it. Sadly that went down the drain. But I`ll try it this year instead.
It is a little like all the others shown in the tread. Guess there are not so many ways to make a billhook sheath :) .

eb46f11c.jpg

The belt loop is just "pinned" to te leather sheath not sewn as other have done.

Tor

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I promised to show you the finished article. Here it is

348704363_7798baf717.jpg

Its fantastic of course as all Singtecks work is. The D ring on the back is something Singteck does for me. That way I can add a belt loop with a trigger hook (which he has made about half a dozen of for me), hang it from my baldric (which is his make of course) or clip it to my pack with a karabiner.

I'm happy - next job is to sort out the handle and bevel on the hook - more on that when its done!

However, as always, I advise Singteck for all your leather working needs (if you can't do your own and are a klutz like me)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE