Sheath Commission

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The guy is really pleased with it. Which is great because I spent a lot of time on it. He made the sheath himself and sent to me to pyrograph.

sheath.jpg

sheath4.jpg

sheath2.jpg

back of the sheath..
sheath3.jpg

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Stunning work! Dare I ask how long it took you to do? I can't believe you've only been doing this for a couple months!!!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think it took about 20 hours. Most of that is planning and designing though, I think actually doing it took about 6 hours. If my estimation is out, then Im underestimating!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is mine - all mine! :):)
It was made to fit a knife I made from a shortened and re-profiled Cold Steel SRK in Carbon 5, with a home made Oak handle - I will post photos when I get back from my holiday on the Hadrians Wall walk!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Sorry for all the questions, once you are happy with your design do you use tracing paper or just free hand it? You don't have to give any secrets away if you don't want to, but I've been tempted to have a bash at this since seeing your first work...just need to file down my soldering iron and find some spare time on top of everything else. Looks great, keep up the good work! And thanks for inspiring me to have a go!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I should probably do a tutorial at some point.

Basically I traced the sheath onto graph paper, and then replicated this several times over. I then sketch out designs onto the paper, some of the knotwork I admit to cheating and tracing out from a book, but most of it I incoorperated into my own designs, for instance the tail on the bird at the tip was the edge of a pattern design but I transferred it onto the bird (my design) as I thought it would look nice as a tail.
The knotwork down the middle is freehand. Its easy done by lightly drawing in a diamond pattern of dots onto the sheath.
Its impossible to draw on the sheath with pencil so once Ive finished the design Im happy with I transfer it over using a sheet of graphite. You have to hold it carefully though its not easy to see if the design is straight or not and so its often easier to freehand if you can. The birds feet, faces, and internal designs on the wings were all freehand and made up as I went along.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Another piece of beautiful work Linsey , you should go into tatooing your originality would make you a fortune . hope mr fenna is paying you handsomely ( check the ink on his cash is dry when you get it .........only joking John)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks guys. Ive no idea how a person gets set up in tattooing but a few people have told me I should

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
With all that cool artwork you could easily overlook the equally cool and well executed use of an antler link. A very nice touch if I may say so.

Cheers!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yeah I thought the sheath was nice togin with the antler ring is quite striking. Well done John ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With all that cool artwork you could easily overlook the equally cool and well executed use of an antler link. A very nice touch if I may say so.

Cheers!

Many thanks!
I kept it plain so that the artwork would dominate and I thought that bright metal would be too imposing.
I have done several sheathes with antler rings and have found them strong and stylish without being gaudy.
I gave Linz free reign to do what she would on the sheath - and it is better than I could have hoped for!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yeah cheers for giving me free reign, thats quite a bit of trust you put in me, to put what I wanted on it, you might have ended up with a sheath with Bear and Ray mud wrestling on it.

er...not that Id enjoy that or anything...!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE