sheath 4 a north star

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 30, 2005
hello peps this is my first post so be gentle folks :D ok here goes ive recently bought my first dedicated bushcrafter a brk&t northstar im very happy with the knife, how ever i,ve got one of the new patern sheaths which while classy is rubbish at acctually holding on to the blade :eek: which kinda defeats the point ive tried all the usual tricks ie soaking/shrinking but it still a very lose fit ive tried to figure out a secondary retaining method but due to the very deep throated (ooh er) ;) design ive failed misarably :( so the question is can any one else recommend a modification or an alternative sheath prefarably kydex but leathers cool :cool: idealy i,d want to be able to carry the knife baldrick style and have a fire steel holder. im at your tender mercies :)

leon-1

You'll have to try a deep friction fit sheath (still pouch type).

I haven't got the Northstar, but I have a Fox River which is very similair in both size and shapeI haven't got round to making one for mine yet, but if you look around on here enough you will come across plenty of examples.

I believe that rapidboy has a Northstar perhaps he has made a different sheah for his.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Have you thought of the possiblity of glueing a strip/tube of leather inside the throat of the sheath to thicken the walls & grip the knife handle better. I've seen this done before to good effect.

Aug 30, 2005
i,ve actully left some papacord down the inside of the sheath which helps but doesnt cure it, thanx 4 the welcome guys

Aug 30, 2005
as it happens i think i may of cracked it zdp 189 on b,b has made me a few ideas and i think i may get him to make me a kydex one as im not a big fan of leather when it rains (and in kent it does Frequently!!!!) as im paranoid about rust im a sad over protective loser when it comes to my blades :rolleyes:

Aug 30, 2005
well we should all stick to our strengths :D :D ;) only joking, besides between using it 4 batoning, and using it on ferro rods and a now former best mate trying to use it as a very sophisticated and exspensive can opener!! :eek: i can live with a few scratches, but rust? sacralidge!

Aug 30, 2005
nah im with you on that front its just a shame that the public peception is so bad i used to be able to use my big bowies ad kukris now i have to cary my northstar and a hachet life is cruel :D

Jun 23, 2005
Micky, sorry for late response I was bysy with outdoors fair last 10 days.

Are you absolutly certan that you have new pattern sheaths with firesteel loop and tree rivets. We didn't get a single complaint on them, and especialy not that they don't keep blade inside. We made them wery deep, and I used mine for 4 months whole summer, and there isn'a a hint of knife not holding tight in the sheath. If you have corect one it could be that it is made on monday morning, and I will organize a replacment for you..

Handles on some of the North Stars for british market are made thinner because some of the materials wasn't available in apropriate thickness. If that is the case with yours knife, BRKT will replace handles free of charge. What handle material is on your North Star?

Bogdan

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
This is a picture of my new Northsatr sheath with the older one next to it. I've wet-formed the sheath and so far (touch wood) I haven't had any problems with the knife coming out of sheath..

newsheath1.jpg

As you can see it has the fire-steel loop fitted as standard

Aug 30, 2005
yeah i had a good few issues with my one, im sure im alone in this, but if you look on british blades i wrote a review on the one zdp-189, made me, its worth a look if you fancy a totally secure bullet proof sheath all you northstar owners :D

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
Ravenn said:
Stevie, can you describe your wet forming method.. it looks great, I'd like to do it to mine also. Thanx

Sorry it's taken a while to get back, I was out tof the country working then had to change jobs, then out of the country again and now I'm catching up on things.

I get the leather nice and wet right through. Then with the knife inside the wet sheath I start shaping the leather around it using my fingers. When the shape starts to resemble the knife I use the smooth round end of a plastic modelling knife (you could use the end of the a tooth brush). Don't push too hard as it will score the leather. Keep working the handle in to the leather until it is as tight as you want it. I take the knife out a few times in between just to make sure it's not getting locked in and to dry the blade off.

The sheath is drying out all the time that you are working it but I then leave it to dry naturally (no direct heat) with out the knife in so the air can get inside as well. It usually drys overnight but it can take longer depending on the thickness of the leather and how much water was in it.

I don't leave the knife in until it is completely dry as most of my blades are carbon steel rather than stainless. The sheath will feel slightly cold to touch if it is still damp.

Hope this helps ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE