She will carry the Kitchen Sink to Borneo

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tipped off by a friend SWMBLT and I went to a outdoor shop that was having a sale.

I used the opportunity to replace stolen kit and get a new mirror compass (Brunton Nexus 26DNL Pioneer) for 8 pounds and a large waterproof map case for 3.5 pounds and an LED key ring light and new socks.

My good lady is going on her own 6 day trip to the Kelabit Highlands in Borneo next year without me with just her students and an old friend of mine who is a professional guide.

Our exchanges in the shop must have amused the staff.

“I’ll get this towel” (some new-fangled micro dry whatever fibre) she said.

“No” I replied “take a sarong, wash yourself and wear it and then air dry yourself to cool before changing”.

“But I need a towel”

“No you don’t. The sarong does all”

“These bottles are very light” she says holding a SIGG (not reduced enough in my opinion).

“So is plastic 1.5 litre water bottles from the supermarket”.

A number of gimmicks were shot down by me in similar fashion.

Then she decided that she needs to bring the kitchen sink!

http://www.rei.com/product/758050

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sea-to-summit/the-kitchen-sink/review/11851/

“I can use it for washing up”

“ There won’t be any. The porters will do the rice and the rest is BBQ”

“I can bathe with it”

“No, get into the river and bathe”

“ We can carry water to the camp site”

“Bring your water bottles to the stream. Use a plastic bag to carry any more than that”

“ It can be useful”, she said with finality.

I looked at it dubiously and asked the staff if it would take boiling water (emergency cooking). Not advisable they said.

Is there any thing that this sink can do that common sense and some bushcraft can’t?

If I can’t shoot this down she will go to Borneo carrying the kitchen sink.:bluThinki

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Washing bowl - four bits of wod/rocks/boots set in a square/circle - cover with a poly bag/corner of your poncho - fill with water. Instant wash bowl.:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got advised to buy one of these for a week long course I did a few years ago. needless to say I didn`t bother.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Let her have it and ask her afterwards if she used it. If not, you can say "I told you so", if yes, you might learn something new. Either way, you both win.

Mike

PS I'm married too :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE