Shaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
I know that many here on the forum are wild, wooly and hairy men who don't shave but do any of you use the art of the open cut throat razor or is it a lost art form. It makes you think about the moustache and goatee as to whether it was a style that developed out of avoiding shaving the difficult bits with the open razor.
If anybody uses one on a daily basis i think the mods should post him a badge for bravery and anachronistic authenticity. :eek: Any thoughts on this obscure question???

Hawkeyethenoo

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
I'm a barber ( My family and I own several barber shops and hairdressers) to trade and this shave is my bread and butter, I done 9 today!!! :D . Its real easy if you know how. Pm me and I will give you a proper way to do it. This site gives you some helpfull info though, Ive posted this on a previous thread..
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/perfect_shave.html

Any more you want to know though I am more than helpfull to give you though.

James

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
jamesoconnor said:
I'm a barber ( My family and I own several barber shops and hairdressers) to trade and this shave is my bread and butter, I done 9 today!!! :D . Its real easy if you know how. Pm me and I will give you a proper way to do it. This site gives you some helpfull info though, Ive posted this on a previous thread..
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/perfect_shave.html

Any more you want to know though I am more than helpfull to give you though.

James

Hi James,if you bring a cut throat to maybe another Scottish meet you could earn a few bob,as my wife says i always come back from a meet looking like the wild man of the north :D I can just see it now sitting by the fire at Achray feet up whisky in hand and getting a nice clean shave. Man now thats what i call fine living :lmao:

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
stuart f said:
Hi James,if you bring a cut throat to maybe another Scottish meet you could earn a few bob,as my wife says i always come back from a meet looking like the wild man of the north :D I can just see it now sitting by the fire at Achray feet up whisky in hand and getting a nice clean shave. Man now thats what i call fine living :lmao:

I might just do that. As long as you cook us one of your fine looking meals!! ;) :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i use an open razor (although i cheat and use one with disposable blades)
i get a decent shave, and it's easier to take a beard off since it doesn't clog up.
also i can shave for a year on the cost of one pack of normal razor blades.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I still have my grandfather's straight razor and have used it from time to time. It takes some work to get it honed on a razor stone and stropped to perfection, but when it is - it does a fine shave. I find it much easier to shave others than to shave myself, and have done duty as barber at gatherings.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
Hi James,

I am tempted to treat myself to a real shave on my birthday in may and drive over to lanarkshire to get a real shave. I guess it is just one of those things a man needs to try at least once.

I wonder how many women would be willing to have that done on their legs, that could be a new sideline for your work James, but knowing reality it would probably only attract the tranny network :lmao:

Hawkeyethenoo

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Hawkeye The Noo said:
I wonder how many women would be willing to have that done on their legs, that could be a new sideline for your work James, but knowing reality it would probably only attract the tranny network :lmao:

Hawkeyethenoo

I'm guessing it would be a lot more pleasant than having them waxed....

janiepopps

(A fully fledged female thankyou very much)

:lmao:

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
Not entirely unrelated, I use King of Shaves shaving oil. A tiny bottle goes a long, long way (100+ shaves?), it weighs next to nothing and it floats :) !

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I used to use a straight razor for my normal, everyday shave, but now I mainly use a safety razor. I love the cut-throat, but I'm rubbish at sharpening it - it's incredibly tricky to get it just right, otherwise it just drags and hurts. The safety razor is an easier way of getting almost as good a shave, and it's still much better and much cheaper than the 93-bladed Gillettes.

I do spoil myself with the shaving cream - a nice badger brush and Trumpers or Proraso cream, followed by some Trumpers Skin Food. Lovely.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Bosun said:
Not entirely unrelated, I use King of Shaves shaving oil. A tiny bottle goes a long, long way (100+ shaves?), it weighs next to nothing and it floats :) !

Yeah, me too - and I find it at least as effective as any foam or gel, with a lot less mess.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Save all that trouble! Grow a beard :D. It's much easier all round and it keeps your chin warm :lmao: .

Plus I cut myself enough times when I shaved with a modern razor, so I dear to think what would happen if I was let loose with a cut throat :eek: .

Hats off to you guys who manage it though.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Bosun said:

This may sound daft but i use hair conditioner :) but bare with me ,i slap the conditioner on the stubble and leave it for a couple of mins then a good splash of water,then shave. It leaves your puss as smooth as the proverbial bairns butt :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i use razorantium shaving cream from lush.
best thing i've ever used.
i used to use king of shaves, but this stuff is far better.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've used a safety razor for about a year now, largely inspired by posts on here. I got a shaving brush and a stick of some fairly cheap soap to go with it too. It definitely gives a good shave if you spend the time latherring up and isn't particularly dangerous. It is also genuinely about 1/10 the cost of a tapdancing vibrating 82 blade wonder razor.
I bought a cutthroat with disposable blades which I keep trying. I can do a good job on the left hand side of my face (I'm right handed) but not really on the right side. Currently I end up using the safety razor for the trickier bits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE