Shave horse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
This is what I made today

DSCF1529.jpg

We actually made two, my brother and I. It was all from salvaged wood, so nice to make something for free.
I've never used one before so I anticipate some future adjustments, but it seems to work well and was certainly fulfilling spending a day with my brother making something.
Cheers
Heath

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I have to get mine made some time soon, I have an oak log sat in the garage that will be transformed soon. You've done a cracking job on yours, when nobody is about you can pretend you are chasing Luke Skywalker through the forest of Endor! :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Nice one! goodjob

I bet the 2nd was easier once you had a shave horse to help make it......... a kinda chicken and egg kind of project I guess:)

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work Heath looks like it works well. What projects do you have in mind for it?.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Very nice shave horse. That piece of floor board you have that the work rests on needs to be fixed down at the lower end otherwise it'll move bout when you try and shave some thin material. It'll happen when you have to move the block back a bit. Then the fulcrum will be behind the clamp and the end will fly up as soon as you put oressure on it. Either a hole drilled through and a peg hammered in, or like mine, a leather hinge. You'll notice the difference straight away.

Eric

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Uh, what's a shave horse?
Sorry never heared of this before.

Hi
as explained by Minotaur it is basically a vice used in green woodworking which enables you to hold the workpiece and use a drawknife or other tools to shape the workpiece link below with more info

http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/horses.html

http://www.greenwoodworking.com/ShavingHorsePlans

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

also a picture of the one I recently made on a green woodworking course

4472771320_eb4f0d0c2f.jpg

hope this gives a better idea of their use, they are a very usefull item when working in the woods

Cool horse Heath if you look at the horse to my left you can see where someone has pegged their board they have not trimmed the pegs yet but I think this is the sort of thing Eric was talking about

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I have to get mine made some time soon, I have an oak log sat in the garage that will be transformed soon. You've done a cracking job on yours, when nobody is about you can pretend you are chasing Luke Skywalker through the forest of Endor! :D

LMAO! thats EXACTLY what i thought the first time i sat on a shave horse! i was even in a large standing coniferous wood to boot :D

Bodgin really is a lot of fun and thats a very nice shave horse Heath well done m8 ;)

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Thanks for the nice comments folks. It doesn't look like it on the picture but the board is pegged, so it's not going anywhere. I haven't been able to really try it out as I haven't got a drawknife yet. I'm planning on using it to prepare wood for my lathe and to make handles, and who knows, maybe eventually I'll make a chair or something equally ambitious.

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
just jab the end of your knife into a smallish bit of wood and use that as your draw knife. I made a hatchet and limbing axe handle before i found my first draw knife at a car boot goodjobmate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE