Sharpening with a chefs steel

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I have to admit, I find sharpening with stones very difficult. I can manage it, but never achieve the 'shaving sharp' results many others seem to get. Maybe that isn't necessary for ordinary usage and I should just be happy with what I can achieve. More and more now, I'm using the chefs steel my dad gave me years ago, and I'm getting great results without the difficulty I find with the stones.

Having grown up in kitchens and always seeming to be able to handle a steel correctly, I only started using stones to sharpen my chisels when I started work as a carpenter, and until very recently I completely dismissed the steel as an option, except for my kitchen knives. I've no idea why it took me so long to join the dots that while I was never happy with my bushy knives but totally happy with my kitchen knives! Doh.

Does anyone else predominantly use a steel and what are peoples thoughts on them?

It seems very easy to carry in a bag, you don't need a flat surface, it can be brought into service as a cudgel (that was just a joke) and it gives a wicked edge.

Your always entertaining thoughts please............

Magentus

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used butchers steels to great effect - especially with hollow ground and full flat with a secondary bevel blades - but now prefer diamond stones and then wet and dry to give a final convex edge which I find less prone to chipping.
Lets face it, unless a steel is smooth (and I have one of those) it is basically a round file so it will shift steel. Some are agressive, some are fine, some are rubbish...all need good technique...just like any sharpening system!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
i always thought the steel was purely for realigning a blades edge and not for any significant sharpening
I think it is dependent on the type of steel, some are as John have said, are like files, and some are smooth. some sharpen (ie take off metal) others rely on moving metal about (realinging the edge) I've never managed to learn how to use a steel, but manage to use stones and strops, I feel the strop is more important than the stones (once the blade is sharp) Practice as with anything is everything

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I find a steel works just fine on thin kitchen knives, but I don't find it easy to get the right sharpening angle for a thicker-bladed bushy-type knife. Stropping is the way to go for touching up those, IMHO...

But the bottom line is simple: if it works for you, then go for it.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I use ceramic rods too - shaped like a steel but smaller. I always carry one around. Wouldn't it be great to have a combined shapener and fire steel? I'd buy that for a dollar!

Magentus

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just been trying out the Excclusive diamond sharpener from Casstroms...two grades of diamond and the edges can be used as a steel - it is now part of my field kit!

Mike Bowler

Dec 31, 2008
Cheshire UK
I've just obtained a Schrade hone steel* which I really like because I can use it like a stone or a steel depending on the job at hand.

* Many thanks Steve.
Heres a good link,to how you keep a wicked edge on your Knife,Bernie Garland, has been clueing up Members here, and other forums now for years, about the Schrade old Timer Honesteels,dont you think its about time, members here admitted the fact,instead of pretending something else,he might be banned, but all who know him,will tell you,he'll do his upmost to help you out
wink.gif

http://ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=194

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've got a lot of time for Bernie, he's a great guy.

Personally I'm sorry he was banned but I can understand exactly how it happened.

( IMO. The real shame is that the true culprit of the incident wasn't banned as well. )

Don't fall into the popular trap of tarring all the members on this forum with the same brush, It's a tired refrain that is getting a little boring now.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've just obtained a Schrade hone steel* which I really like because I can use it like a stone or a steel depending on the job at hand.

* Many thanks Steve.

No probs at all Gary. I'm just glad I'm in a position to help you and the others that have got them :)

Hows the scramaseax doing now you've used the schrade on it?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The 'Schrade' gives you bite,finish with ceramic and it's the same as stropping. Well imo anyhoo.

Bernie has done above and beyond for me and others I know.

It's too easy,maybe difficult,to get the gist of a person over the net until you meet them and can converse properly.

Tom.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I use ceramic rods all the time for a general strop out in the woods its great, I have to buy them from the states though to pay for under a fiver each.

base of a mug is also good if you've nothing else or even a car window

before diamonds it was common for a steel pocket to be on a sheath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE