Sharpening tuition

Nov 14, 2007
chilterns
I have recently been given a Fallkniven F1 and have come to the conclusion, despite reading the excellent tutorials on this forum, that I would benefit from hands on tuition before attempting convex sharpening. I had a go on my old opinel, hoping to convert it to convex, but just succeded in making it less sharp!
I realise there is no substitute for practise but I am terrified of buggering up a lovely knife- are there courses this time of year, or tutors around, hopefully not too far from SW Herts?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Rick

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Use a marker pen. Draw onto the edge of your knife and then swipe it a couple of times along your sharpening implement of choice. I'd suggest a piece of foam or mouse mat with some fine wet and dry on it. You will see the pen mark disapear. This lets you know that you are sharpening the right area. Once you have it sharpened, you won't need to do it that often, a strop on a piece of leather will bring it right up.

If you can get somebody to show you, that would be great as there is no better way in my opinion. If I was closer, I'd share the knowledge, but unfortunately I'm in Yorkshire! Good luck and remember, everybody can do it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Whoever gave you that knife was very generous by the way, it's not mega expensive but it isn't cheap either. They are excellent knives, i use one myself.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Hi,

I figure it might well be out of your way, but I thought that I would mentoin it anyway! I run sharpening course every few months in my woods in devon. We will cover whatever peple bring along with them, so it could be just axes, knives and something else or it could be a whole load of things. I'm planning the next sharpening day for early january, but not got a firm date thought out yet. I had a couple of BB guys come from the Midlands to my last one day sharpening course, they stayed at a B&B next door but you could sleep in the woods if you prefer!

give me a shout if you are interested at any time :)

dave

Nov 14, 2007
chilterns
I may well get in touch next year Dave, I will be working on a friend's house down in Bridport (nearly Devon), on and off for a few weeks and can probably arrange my work to coincide with one of your courses.Thanks for the offer and thanks for the encouragement Spamel.
Meantime I shall perservere.My opinel has definitely taken on a convex grind, and is as least as sharp as when I started now, after going backwards initially.I am wondering if I am pressing on the blade too much, I shall experiment.It is at least what I would have called sharp before finding this forum and reading of arm shaving etc.It will slice a ripe tomato thinly but not stick on my thumbnail, which seems like a good test to me.
I am waiting for a friend to open her shop and find me some nice leather for a strop, hopefully I'll be able to keep my F1 in shape with that, but I would still like to learn to sharpen all the way from blunt.Will T-Cut polishing compound be any good on the strop?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
oops, I meant ot put that in a pm rather than an open post :eek:

Anyhoo. Anlways welcom to pop in and say "Hi" if you're passing! :D

I've not tried t-cut, but it should work. Worth a go ;) I normally use autosol chrome polish, but i have used all sorts. toothpaste is minty fresh and works well, so does wood ash (bit course maybe), chocolate should work too. basically anything that has a fine abrasive in a fluid or cream should work. so you can mix your own if you like by mixinig some cream or oil with fine lapping powder (for example). Don't forget that the strop itselt makes a difference, so try cardboard, leather, smooth paper, whatever :)

With the pressure on the blade thing when sharpening on a soft hone, you only need enough to deform the surface of the mat. if you lean too hard you'll get a rounded edge rather than a convex one, if you know what I mean.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE