Sharpening the North Star...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tomtom as a recent convert to convex you will not believe how easy it is to keep your edge tiptop - the hoodoo hone and the sharkie sharp are perfect combo, I use the sharkie in the field and the hone in base camp or home.

One top tip - top up your edge continually, if it starts to dull strol it then and there and it will never let you down.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I've gots to say:

I really don't like the Starkie Sharp :yikes:

I find it a bit awkward to use without slicing my fingers.
Much more comfortable with a full sized strop.
Oh and I was slightly miffed to see that the polishing compound was the same polishing blue that I have a stack of in our workshop!

Controversial!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I myself have made a Hoodoo hone after my brothers mate tried to sharpen my axe on a dry waterstone. They are excellent at honing and polishing an edge and the only real way to keep that convex grind.

Before using the Hoodoo Hone:
100_0760.jpg

After:
100_0765.jpg

Good Luck!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The leather pad is a little short but thats why god invented leather belts to hold up your trousers!

Paste one end - and strop the other - and a belt, strap for fire wood carrying etc - wicked multi tool! :super:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I expect it to be very cumbersome when out in the field so just cut a little piece of paste off and use it with your belt or cut a piece of leather stick it on top of a mousemat stuck to a bit of wood.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ok stage one of the hoodoo hone compleat.. i have a bit of wood with some slits in it... (now need to find a mouse mat) but also..

What sorts of sand paper does one use, is it wet&dry, glass paper.. sand paper.. does it matter, but most importantly (i guess) what grades of paper should i use?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I used a piece of foam from an old ground mat for mine! And wet and dry seems to be best as the backing is generally tougher.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Dry - the idea of wetting a stone is to remove waste that blocks the pours here your just going to chuck the paper once worn out so you need not worry about it.
Grades - I have pre-prepared strips of 600, 400 and 200 (or is it 220?) anyway they work ok for me. And carry more Fine grade strips as these will be used more. :lol: :)

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
I prefer to use a bit of WD40 regularly sprayed on to the paper or the paper clogs up. WD40 helps keep it clean and prolongs the life of the paper

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Interesting idea Mushi, but surely the idea of the hoodoo hones is to simplify the sharpening process, if your going to carry oil and such you might as well just good back to an oil stone.

Just a thought :roll:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
AH! Someone against the starkie? Dont use it the same way you would use a normal strop. Lie it on a surface and just drag your knife along the leather. Kinda more like you would use a stone, except, erm, different.

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE