Sharpening technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Theo01

Mar 7, 2006
Gloucestershire, UK
How do you guys like to sharpen your knives? Back and forth, side to side or in circulars motions.
I've only got a DC4 (quite small) so have always sharpened in circular motions, which works very well but the balde metal doesn't exactly stay looking neat.

You go...

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I use larger stones. Really you'll struggle - IMHO - to get a good edge without proper stones. I did use a DC3 and found that back and forth, with the pressure only in one direction, worked best for me.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Theo, The way I tend to work on an edge depends on the type of grind of the knife. If it's a Scandi where the grinding lines will still be evident even after stropping I keep the hone travelling at right angles to the edge all the way along. This leaves a neater looking knife when it's all done.
On knives where I'm going to strop away all evidence of sharpening with the hones (knives with secondary bevels or convex grinds) I normally find it easiest to work the hone in a diagonal fashion across the edge, alternating the angle from left diagonal to right diagonal between grits so I can see when each successively finer grit has removed the marks of the previous hone. Once stropped this leaves the edge as smooth and shiney as a mirror and wickedly sharp.

If you would like a few pointers on using diamond hones to get your knife as sharp as you could ever need it, and you plan on being at the Summer Moot take a look at ..... http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20985

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
When I have to use a small stone I hold the knife on the edge of a rest (table, tree limb) sharp edge up and tilted away from me. I hold the stone in my other hand face down against the blade. In this way I can see the action of the stone upon the blade. I usually work with a corse stone in a circular motion to begin with in order to work the metal down quickly. Then end with a finer stone and more of a perpendicular motion to smooth the edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE