Sharpening stones?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Five of the seven water stones I have came without any sort of base, just the man made stones. You can buy holders for them, or find a suitable plastic tray. I found that all mine fit perfectly in the recessed lids of very old-fashioned rectangular English ice cream tubs. That takes care of sludgy water and grit escapes. The best thing under them, I have found, is one of those non-slip foam mesh sheet things.

My big Arkansas just gets sat on some cardboard. I chiseled out a holder from a bit of scrap oak for my medium Arkansas, no cover, just a base with a rebate that the stone sits in snugly. Could have made something by gluing strips of wood to a wooden base, rather than messing with all the chisel chopping at that oak.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use an elbow adze, a carver's adze and a D adze plus more than a dozen PacNW style crooked knives for carving.
Can't possibly use a flat surface abrasive. Instead, you learn to fix the tool in place and move the abrasive on a mandrel.
That's why the 3M fine sandpapers are better than stones.

If all I needed was abrasives for knives and cleavers, those stones would be a dream come true.

LadySmyth

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2017
UK
Crikey peeps... I'm still digesting all your very helpful comments... The big grey "rusty" one (can't remember who asked, but yes, the rust is from the chisels previously sharpened and not from the stone 👍) is a whetstone and the only one that needs some sanding... I'm going to get some kerosene, some fine wet and dry papers and I've got a sheet of thick glass... Saw a YT vid on that one 👍 Not got around to the others yet...

The box that the big stone was in, was in a bad way so as it has heaps of sentimental value, I'm going to use the wood to make some jewellery etc for myself...

Thanks again for all the links, info and help peeps :)

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE