Sharpening steels - why not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
I am a complete novice when it comes to edge sharpening - hence the question so please no flaming.

I wondered why I should prefer to use a stone verses a sharpening steel (that I use for kitchen knives), afterall chefs/butchers use them all the time.

Is there a specific reason why I should purchase a stone for my bushcraft knife when my steel does a grand job on food prep knives?

Hope someone can enlighten me constructively

Elliott

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A sharpening hone works good on knives on the lower to intermediate end of the Rockwell scale like those knives you find in the kitchen. Gives a great toothy edge for slicing meat and veges. Works great on opinels too. If your knife is on the higher end of the Rockwell, the sharpening hone is less effective. It also leaves an edge that can roll or dull quickly when carving harder material like wood. For harder blades, a stone and strop will give you an edge that will last longer, especially when you are cutting harder materials. You can also use a plain (nonsharpening) steel on harder blades to remove a burr and/or keep the edge aligned.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
steels are not for sharpening .. they are for realigning the rolled edge... this works fine on a thin profile knife like chef's knives ..... it's not so effective on utility knives with thicker section .. it will work to an extent ... but not as effectively as on a chef's knife ...... a stone or some of the other alternatives will help you maintain the aesthetics of your grind lines ..... unless you seriously mash your edge a fine stone will do .. with a stone you have more control over angle

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I am a complete novice when it comes to edge sharpening - hence the question so please no flaming.
There is no such thing as a dull question..... only not asking is dull!! how else is a newbie supposed to learn.... thats one of the reasons we have a 'no flaming' rule here
:biggthump

Ed

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
Many thanks Hoodoo.

That all makes good sense, I had an idea it might be due to hardness of blade-substrate - now for some sharpening practice

Elliott

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Elliott said:
please no flaming.

No Flaming?!?!?! NO FLAMING!!!????!!!!???

You've got some nerve!!! we don't flame here, and If I see you EVER post something like that again.... :wink:

And on a more serious note... Butchers tend to sharpen their weapons every few minutes or so just to maintain the edge and although they do cut through bone it's not like the sharpness required for subtle carving of wood.

There are loads of posts on here for sharpening and the best way for the best knives and axes and flints and pencils and squirrels... I'm sure someone here at some point has tried to sharpen a squirrel, they'll sharpen anything this lot!

Hope this helps :wave:

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
Squidders said:
No Flaming?!?!?! NO FLAMING!!!????!!!!???

You've got some nerve!!! we don't flame here, and If I see you EVER post something like that again.... :wink:

Doh ! :rolmao: :rolmao:

I should have known my question would be well recieved

Cheers all

Elliott

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Apropos flaming and things: also remember that it is in everybody's interest here on BCUK to keep a nice tone. Did you know that we can only communicate about 7 % by writing!? :wink: It's true, 70 % of all communication goes through body language... :shock:
Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean that you are enemies. :wink:

As for sharpening steels: I definately don't wanna carry a long stick (read: sharpening steel). I also believe it's something about the grind... Easier to hold the bevel right on a stone. :biggthump

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Simon said:
steels are not for sharpening .. they are for realigning the rolled edge... this works fine on a thin profile knife like chef's knives ..... it's not so effective on utility knives with thicker section .. it will work to an extent ... but not as effectively as on a chef's knife ...... a stone or some of the other alternatives will help you maintain the aesthetics of your grind lines ..... unless you seriously mash your edge a fine stone will do .. with a stone you have more control over angle

That's just what I was gonna say. ;)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I use them for my pocket knives. on the note of keeping the right angle I find some methods of using the steel work better then others. I rest the steel with the tip on a working surface doing one stroke towards me then one stroke away. A bit slow but gives good results

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE