Sharpening set with a Belgian coticule?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rattebek

Mar 15, 2010
Brussels
I'm about to buy a Belgian coticule sharpening stone to razor-sharpen and polish my blades (a nice Finnish Harri Merimaa knife and some general kitchen knives).

By saying this I'm kinda getting the cart before the horse, because I still need to buy me some coarser stones as well. I was thinking of a japanese combination waterstone

Basically I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have personal experience with these Belgian coticules? I read a lot of stuff on the internet, but some insight from the members here could be great.

2) What would make a good sharpening set for a beginner? What grits should I look for? Something like 400-800 for coarse, 1000-2000 for medium, and then the coticule for polishing (app. 6000-8000)?

I'll use my jeans or my leather jacket as a strop...

I read the other threads on sharpening here, but didnt really find anything about what to keep in mind when compiling a good set. I hope my questions aren't depressingly n00bish.

Thanks!

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Coticule stones are natural stones and therefor it's hard to say what grit the have. They tend to be around 8000 grit.

A 300 grit for coarse, 800 med + 1200 for fine, 4000 + coticule for extra fine.
Coticule stones are extremely expensinve, and I buy manmade stones instead. I really can't justify the price.

regards,

zagabul

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
London
www.aloxworld.com
Coticule stones are extremely expensinve
Except if you "harvest" them yourself :D
I remember from about 10 years ago, I went to the place where they are from (forgot the name now :dunno:). You just had to pick them up! I still have loads of them at my parents attics. :cool:
I'm back to Belgium this weekend. I'll research through my notes and i'll to send you some info.

Rattebek

Mar 15, 2010
Brussels
Except if you "harvest" them yourself :D
I remember from about 10 years ago, I went to the place where they are from (forgot the name now :dunno:). You just had to pick them up!

They're quarried at Vielsalm. Actually I went to that exact town last year, but I was unaware of what they have sitting in the ground there...

Picked them up you say, really? You're talking about little chunks, right? Not slabs you can actually use for honing...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE