Sharpening My Dartmoor.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I saw Uncle Ray, putting an edge on his golok using a waterstone in a way unlike the way described in his book.

He got it and rubbed the whole stone in a circular motion on the blade, rather than move the blade along the stone.

Thought I'd give it a try on my Dartmoor, which has proved to be a bit of a pig to sharpen due to the shape of the edge.

Anyway, it worked a treat. You have to keep it nice and slow and try to make sure you keep the same angle along along the length, but its def easier than the other way. Got a lovely edge on it, well lovely for the type of work it gets used for, chopping, hacking, clearing etc.

Just though I'd share it with you all. :-D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Great tip ... it's far easier to sharpen a WS Dartmoor like it's an axe and not a knife ... however, it depends if it came with a decent edge or not.

WS will sharpen it for you but they will take £25 off you and it will take a few weeks. Far better to do it yourself. :-D

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
£25!! Blimey....mind you, If I'd known that a few weeks ago I may have taken them up on it!!!

Forgot to say though.....you can more or less kiss goodbye to the satin finish in places. But then again, mines a user so it doesn't matter.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I found that just using the sheath meant that you kissed goodbye to the satin finish!

Still, a good knife ... very robust (comparable or in excess to a Busse).

Mar 16, 2004
What are these knives like in practice. all the photos I have seen are shot as if it is a car and not a Knife. Is it a prctical knife to use? I am not sure if I should get one or go for a woodlore (Or similar) as I have heard notthing but good reviews on these. Can you compare the two types of knife?

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Well Simon, I have a Dartmoor and a WS Micarta bushcraft knife so can give you a quick review, though you can't really compare them like for like as they have different uses in practice.

The Dartmoor: When I first got it I sort of fell for the company sales pitch of it being ideal for everything, skinning, carving, chopping etc. Once it arrived, it seemed HUGE. Also looked like a toy due to the satin finish. A friend thought it was from Toys r Us. Tried it, and for most of my bushcraft tasks, it's wasn't up to it, it's just too big. It didn't have a particularly good edge on it either, which didn't help, but i couldn't get on with it. The handle is very comfy, but for fine work, the choil was in the wrong place and meant my thumb rested on the back of the saw profile.

I considered selling it, but then decided to give it another go. I managed to get a half decent edge on it, and used it for the heavier work of chopping, splitting, clearing etc. This is it's forte really, plus the saw profile is really good at notching. Wouldn't part with it now, as I've grown to like it more.....but in hindsight I could have saved a few quid by buying a suitable golok or small machete.

After feeding this all back to WS, I then got a WS Micarta Bushcraft Knife like the woodlore but made in factory production quantities. Much better for what I wanted, ideal in fact. Takes a good edge ( although had to work on getting a zero edge on it as the factory sent it with a secondary bevel) cuts well, nicely balanced, the micarta looks and feels good. Does everything it says on the tin. I love it.

Summary: Now I've had time to live with the Dartmoor a bit, I'm sort of glad I've got both, they make a nice set really, but if I'd saved my cash with the Dartmoor I could have got the Maple handled bushcraft knife and a machete instead. But then again, you learn by your mistakes I suppose, and like I say, I've sort of got attached to it now........

Not very decisive am I :roll:

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I think we've been here before. I agree with everything Nod said. I bought the Dartmoor while waiting for my Alan Wood knife. If I had to chose between them, I would keep the Alan Wood, no question. However, the Dartmoor is such good fun, as long as you acknowledge it's limitations for bushcraft.

One question for everyone: Am I the only one who thinks it rather odd that a company that is selling a knife, the primary purpose of which is to cut, charges extra to sharpen the thing?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Well, the charge for resharpening, I believe that if you got an unsharpened blank (some apparantly did make it out like this) that it would be sharpened free of charge.

Andrew Middleton said:
One question for everyone: Am I the only one who thinks it rather odd that a company that is selling a knife, the primary purpose of which is to cut, charges extra to sharpen the thing?

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I suppose they are between a rock and a hard place though.

They sent it out with an edge on it, that cuts, so they see it as job done. Everyone has their own opinion on how they want their edge on their knife so they wouldn't be able to please everyone.

If they offered to sharpen it for free, they'd have everyone and their dog sending them in, and the craftsmen would be tied up sharpening instead of making.

I suppose the £25 charge is just the standard sword sharpening charge or something and they have applied it to all items.

Mar 16, 2004
Nod, thanks for the review.
I opologise if I come over as a "born agin" but it has helped me make up my mind. All I have to do now is sit on the waiting list for a woodlore!
I have already got a machete that I have had since i was 15, but the Dartmoor still appeals as it really seems to be a Jack of all trades. I suppose it depends on what I will use it for, I would prefer to have one tool that does its job exceptionally than one that does several not so well.

Thanks again

Simon

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Born again Simon? No, not at all mate. Glad I could be of help.

Like Andrew said, it is a fun piece, so if it still appeals then go for it!!! If you really don't like it once you get it out of the box then just sell it on. You might even still be able to get a numbered one as the first 500 were being etched.

I read on the British Blades forums that WS are bringing out a military spec solid handled version soon, so maybe that might be worth enquiring about too.

Cheers.

:-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I thought it already was mil-spec.
:-?
Nod said:
forums that WS are bringing out a military spec solid handled version soon, so maybe that might be worth enquiring about too.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I think it's made to the standards expected from the military, but think it was aimed at the private buyer rather than military. I may be wrong, but that's what I thought.

I just spoke to Vanessa at WS to see if the spec was any different at all. She said that it's still in planning and at present they think it may be plain metal blade with no satin finish, solid handle, and no saw profile on the back. Nice and easy to produce and more or less indestructible, as squaddies can break virtually anything.

Still early stages and if they did go ahead it wouldn't be until next year.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I'd have thought the handle, as is, is one of the knife's better features....
Remove the saw back (Also good, ironically) and handle, and what you'll end up with, essentially is a slightly remodelled version of the issue survival knife in stainless.
If they can get MOD to purchase it they may be on a winner, but as a private purchace..... :-?

Nick in Belfast

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Actually, I'd have prefered a solid handle on mine. I don't use the space inside for the kit they sent with it. I took it out and keep it in a separate pouch.

But if they do make that new one to that particular spec, at least then buyers will have two to choose from, and can pick the version they feel will suit them best.

Be interesting to see what the cost will be.

I suppose that during the planning process WS will work out if it's worth changing or not. At least they are thinking ahead and looking at the possible variations.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Wasn't so much the hollow bit as the actual shape and composition of the grip, I find it comfortable. I left the kit (such as it is) in place but added some other items to the sheath.

You might just be able to make it out... I really need a decent digital camera.
dart.jpg

Nick in Belfast

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Ah I see what you mean.
Yeah the handle is comfy and grippy. I hope they keep it the same, and just fix it on.

I can only just make out the bits on the sheath. What have you put on there?

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
P. Cord - Sheath bound and "daisy chained" lanyard.
AA mini-mag - To be replaced with a smaller LED type when I decide on one I like.
Little diamond card sharpener - supposed to be for router bits
Fire steel
Bic lighter
puri-tabs
dental floss - actually in the sheath with the supplied brass wire.
Jigsaw blade - for use with firesteel
3 nails - spear components.
2" reflective tape - ever lose your basha in the dark?
Rat pack can opener - it fitted.

To be added - keyring type betalight, on the lanyard - in case I drop the bugger.

Nick in Belfast

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE