Sharpening and stropping - a DIY field kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CommonZense

Mar 10, 2015
Aalst (BE)
A while ago I've made a sharpening and stropping kit. Designed to be light weight, all-in-one and durable.
The set is not meant for re profiling edges, just for daily edge maintenance during camp trips or in the kitchen.
So I've glued a piece of leather on a 2 x 4 x 20cm rectangular aluminum tubing, which is closed on both ends with a cap.

This sharpening field kit now contains:
- 600 grid sand paper strips for sharpening (medium-fine)
- 1000 grid sand paper strips (fine)
- stropping compound
- an eraser for strop maintenance

I still have to add a small container or syringe with mineral oil for maintenance of my carbon steel knives.
In addition I might possibly add a mouse pad strip to the kit for up keeping sharpness of my convex edged axes.

[video=youtube;bnpYEkjXqBw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnpYEkjXqBw[/video]

Though it kind of speaks for itself, I have some pictures of the build available on Photobucket for those interested.
Hope you like it and I am curious about your opinions, comments, tips and suchs.

From continental soil I great you,
Bastiaan

PS. Though it was raining and I have a park view at my office, I am not allowed to light a small camp fire inside. For that reason, and for ZEN's sake, I have added some spring sounds to the video :)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2015
Australia
Great idea using the aluminium tubing! This is mine:

Bic lighter for scale
860ea305d1b6132cc673a58d3cf7c57e.jpg

It's basically just a DC3 and some stropping compound wrapped in a 15cm x 5cm leather strip
1b5ae25b988adf813169762f6df74a39.jpg

I rarely use the DC3 unless if run in to a nail etc. I do place it under the leather to strop my Esee 3. For my convex edged knifes and wildlife hatchet, I place the piece of leather on top of my thigh and strop it that way.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Great idea, I love the idea of DIY kits and equipment (mainly as I'm skint! Haha.) Will try and watch the video at lunch time and contribute some idea's 😊

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CommonZense

Mar 10, 2015
Aalst (BE)
Hi Phil, great kit you have there too.
I have been using mine now for a couple of weeks and am happy with the way it proofs itself to be liable and easy-carry, though it's a bit bigger than a BIC :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE