Sharp pointy thing No. 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My second attempt at a stock removal knife. Im much happier with this one, I managed to get the grind lines straight (sort of :D )

I spent more time with files and wet and dry than with the belt sander, obviously it took longer but I think the result is much better.

Now that im a bit more comfortable with the process I think that I will try a few different designs next.

P1010074.jpg

Any comments or criticisms gladly recieved :buttkick:

Thanks for all the nice comments

cgait said:
For a second knife thats really nice looking........does it work well?
I dont know yet, it feels good in my hand but the oil on the scales is still drying :eek:

addyb

Stock removal just means that you start off with a piece of steel and you remove (as in carving, if it was wood) the steel with files , grinder etc until you have the blade shape and profile that you want . This is as opposed to forging where the heated steel is hammered into the shape without actually removing any steel.

At least I think that is the difference, Im very much a beginner at this so if anyone knows different Im quite happy to be corrected

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Lovely job! Very nice bits of wood you have on there.

You might try making the handle more sculpted when viewed from the top, also rounding it a little more. Not a critisism! :) When I made my first...oh, several :rolleyes: I tended to make the handle cross-section rectangular, with rounded corners. Having handled some that were more eliptical in section, no straight sides, I reckon they are more comfortable for carving work. Abrasive shop-roll, 1" wide, is great for rounding handles.

I think you deserve special praise for the photo :D Very nice too!!

Stock removal = knife made by removing stock (material) from a pre-ground flat bar.
As oposed to forged to shape. Even forged blades have an element of stock removal though.

C_Claycomb said:
Lovely job! Very nice bits of wood you have on there.

You might try making the handle more sculpted when viewed from the top, also rounding it a little more. Not a critisism! :) When I made my first...oh, several :rolleyes: I tended to make the handle cross-section rectangular, with rounded corners. Having handled some that were more eliptical in section, no straight sides, I reckon they are more comfortable for carving work. Abrasive shop-roll, 1" wide, is great for rounding handles.

I think you deserve special praise for the photo :D Very nice too!!

Stock removal = knife made by removing stock (material) from a pre-ground flat bar.
As oposed to forged to shape. Even forged blades have an element of stock removal though.

Thanks for the comments C_Claycomb. I must admit im not completely happy with the shape of the handle - i know its not quite right but im not sure why , I think I see what you mean by eliptical though.
Ive never actually owned a store bought knife so im trying to imagine what it should look and feel like from 2 dimensional photos.

running bare said:
spot on bit of workmanship mate. did you temper the blade or was the stock bar already tempered?

Thanks for the compliment

Despite following detailed instructions im not sure that the blade is as hard as it should be :27:

I normalized 3 times ( in 2 brick forge with maap torch ) then quenched in olive oil then tempered to 250 deg C. in kitchen oven ( 3 times )

I used a magnet to detect critical temp. so I am sure that it was hot enough.

Its all a bit of a black art as far as im concerned (I was thinking of buying a wizards hat to wear during the process) :lmao:

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Fantastic knife, you must be really pleased with it. I know would be if I had made it.

I really like the scales by the way, what wood is it? :)

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
A beautiful knife Neiltoo.

How did you find the grinding? I want to grind a better edge on my spoon gouge (this is pretty tricky as you can imagine!), but don't want to ruin the files, as the knife used to be a drill bit so is pretty hard. I have ruined files with tempered metal before!

bushtuckerman said:

How did you find the grinding? I want to grind a better edge on my spoon gouge (this is pretty tricky as you can imagine!), but don't want to ruin the files, as the knife used to be a drill bit so is pretty hard. I have ruined files with tempered metal before!

Thankyou,
I did most of the heavy work before tempering, the blade is 3mm steel with a fairly narrow grind so I wasnt too worried about it distorting during heat treatment so I was able to get a fairly fine finish before it was tempered,

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
bushtuckerman said:

okey dokeyyyyy, now thats gotta be a tutorial or at least a few pics, howd ya get a spoon knife outta a drill bit????????

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Neiltoo,
Nice knife, the photo seems to show some colouration of the blade, is it damascus or progressively heat treated?

Bushtuckerman,
What about anealing the blade, doing the filework to get your edge, then re Heat Treat back to full hardness?

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE