Sharing a video I made on tying tarp knots for anyone interested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Drewboy64

Feb 21, 2014
United States
When I was learning these knots, I had to go to multiple videos to learn them. The Ray Mears video is great to watch, but unfortunately not so clear and difficult to follow. I tried to make this video is clear and easy to follow as possible. so hopefully it helps some folks

Cheers

[video=youtube;X3tg6P3pcZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3tg6P3pcZs&list=PLIuN82hcBpY3rZxl9duil3qM LtMHdVsFO[/video]

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I thought that was a very well filmed demo of the knots, would have loved it when learning these knots.
I am sure loads will find this a helpful video.

kelster

Mar 13, 2012
London
That's a great video. Short, informative and skilfully presented. I liked the use of the close up and speed used when presenting how to tie and use the knots.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Nice video! Very clear with the white rope and the black pole, good idea of yours!

I do have a very little remark in regards of the Tension Tarp Knot. When bringing the rope back around the pole the rope should overlap the rope that was initially there. This prevents the rope from slipping back, resulting in loss of tension of the ridge line you're setting up.

Drewboy64

Feb 21, 2014
United States
Nice video! Very clear with the white rope and the black pole, good idea of yours!

I do have a very little remark in regards of the Tension Tarp Knot. When bringing the rope back around the pole the rope should overlap the rope that was initially there. This prevents the rope from slipping back, resulting in loss of tension of the ridge line you're setting up.

Ah, so in other words it goes over the rope attached to the tarp rather than under? I feel like I've seen it done both ways, but I'll definitely have to do that.

I experimented a bit and found that tugging on the loop can help keep the knot tense, but it can be a bit cumbersome. Thanks!

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
At 3:12 seconds you should wrap the end you're holding on top of the rope that is already around the pole. The rope needs to cross, which is what makes the rope jam between the pole and the rope itself. A bit hard to explain... But you can still tie your final knot from underneath, no problem.

This is on of the rare video's which shows what I mean. At 1:00 minutes Paul describes to cross the rope to add friction, that was what I meant. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj41GwEaKeQ

Just a little detail that makes a world of difference in keeping your ridge line nice and taut!

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Drewboy 64

Thank you so much, really well explained goodjob.

I think that showing just 3 knots at a time is a good method of tuition.

Appreciated, and hope you can show us another 3 knots that are explained in your easy to learn style.

rorymax

Aug 3, 2014
Milton Keynes
Just like to say thanks, having not set up a tarp for over 20 years, my brain needs simple easy instructions on how to do it. That was really well demonstrated and filmed

Drewboy64

Feb 21, 2014
United States
At 3:12 seconds you should wrap the end you're holding on top of the rope that is already around the pole. The rope needs to cross, which is what makes the rope jam between the pole and the rope itself. A bit hard to explain... But you can still tie your final knot from underneath, no problem.

This is on of the rare video's which shows what I mean. At 1:00 minutes Paul describes to cross the rope to add friction, that was what I meant. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj41GwEaKeQ

Just a little detail that makes a world of difference in keeping your ridge line nice and taut!

Ah, got you! That was very helpful, thanks!

Drewboy 64

Thank you so much, really well explained goodjob.

I think that showing just 3 knots at a time is a good method of tuition.

Appreciated, and hope you can show us another 3 knots that are explained in your easy to learn style.

rorymax

I'll definitely try to do more of these then. Thanks

Just like to say thanks, having not set up a tarp for over 20 years, my brain needs simple easy instructions on how to do it. That was really well demonstrated and filmed

Thank you, glad you liked it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE