Shaggy Ink Caps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
They're back!!! :D
SInkcap.jpg

I'm off to get the bacon and butter...

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Forager said:
That's the advice for common ink caps (Cporinus atramentarius). Shaggys are fine.
:eek:

On your head be it Mate ;)

"Coprine has been positively identified in Coprinus atramentarius, but may well also occur in the related C. acuminatus and C. romagnesianus. Other species that produce similar symptoms include Shaggy Pholiota (Pholiota squarrosa), Lurid Bolete (Boletus luridus), Club-footed Funnel Cap (Clitocybe clavipes) and Tricholoma flavovirens."
(Collins - How to Identify Edible Mushrooms - Patrick Harding, Tony Lyon and Gill Tomblin).

Should be ok as you say but I personally wouldn't take the risk (but as a vertual teetotaller it doesn't matter to me what you lot eat lol ;) )

Cheers,

Bam. :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
First time I ever ate shaggy ink caps was the morning of my cousin's wedding. They must be fairly safe, as I drank enough for a football team that night without suffering any more ill effects than would normally be expected.

Just as well really - common ink caps probably would've killed me that day.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i guess it really depends a lot on what you consider dangerous

some people have ranted and raved about the dangers of eating sorrel and others reccomend horsechestnuts as a food source :confused:

as far as i understand the alcohol and "certain" mushrooms thing the reaction is very similar to antabuse and alcohol

antabuse was derived originally from this very effect , and is given to people to help them quit drinking

more on antabuse here http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000144.html

a quick search for antabuse and mushrooms in google should confirm most of this http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=antabuse+mushroom&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

please note this is only one of a range of toxins that can be found in fungi

just because you can drink alcohol and keep a mushroom down is not good enough to confirm that it is NOT toxic

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE