Shaggy Ink Caps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Out with the dog this morning and came across this patch of Shaggy Ink caps.

Don't often see this many in the one place.

They appear at the start of October every year, and each year there are more.
c61a410539a9f4d1771f89e3d94f038c.jpg
e8bd9458cfbed9f8cce8dd4d18eedf13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh lovely :)

Bit of butter, or olive oil, good twist of black pepper, split in half and fry quickly.
They leak a lot of jus, but if you simmer that down a bit, add a little salt, it's a tasty drizzle over the top of the mushrooms or on pasta if you serve it with that.
Also does well with some chilli flakes.

Reactions: Allans865

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Don't drink alcohol from 24 hours before to 24 hours after eating them.
The stuff they give alcoholics to stop em drinking is based on the active ingredient in Shaggy Inkcaps and will make you bad fettle.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yet, they don't affect everyone! I experimented years ago - small doses to start with, decent amount of alcohol, and it had no adverse effect whatsoever. I guess the active ingredient may be concentrated for the treatment, but I am certainly happy drinking wine with shaggy inkcap (Coprinus comatus). Interestingly, neither Dann or Phillips mention this issue!

Ah, just checked, it's Common Inkcap (Coprinopsis atramentaria) that has the chemical that causes nausea with alcohol. So maybe everything I said above can ignored, maybe :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yet, they don't affect everyone! I experimented years ago - small doses to start with, decent amount of alcohol, and it had no adverse effect whatsoever. I guess the active ingredient may be concentrated for the treatment, but I am certainly happy drinking wine with shaggy inkcap (Coprinus comatus). Interestingly, neither Dann or Phillips mention this issue!

Ah, just checked, it's Common Inkcap (Coprinopsis atramentaria) that has the chemical that causes nausea with alcohol. So maybe everything I said above can ignored, maybe :)
Ahh... Err.. Well.
That's embarrassing... obviously I really meant to say Common Inkcaps.

Ahem.

• Haha
Reactions: Allans865 and Broch

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Out with the dog this morning and came across this patch of Shaggy Ink caps.

Don't often see this many in the one place.

They appear at the start of October every year, and each year there are more.
c61a410539a9f4d1771f89e3d94f038c.jpg
e8bd9458cfbed9f8cce8dd4d18eedf13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
thats great . thank you

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought it was common inkcap that couldn't be taken with alcohol.....pretty sure on that because I have a recipe for using the shaggy one with beer.

I used to live in Wiltshire and there was a spot every year that these little beauties came up. Eat them young and they're great. Don't leave them on the counter top overnight...or you'll find out why they call them Ink caps!

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE