Seyntex bivi - instructions on how to use it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Has anyone used a Seyntex bivi bag before? I could really do with some instruction on how to set the hood up. How are the flaps used? Also on the end of the hood there are tapes both on the inside and the outside, what is their purpose? Excuse my ignorance I'm making the transition between tents and tarps...

seyntexbivi.jpg

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
That looks like the Belgian Army Bivi bag to me.
On mine I use the flap to make a pillow using some clothes

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
That looks like the Belgian Army Bivi bag to me.
On mine I use the flap to make a pillow using some clothes

Sorry to sound like I'm hijacking the thread, but I've been looking for someone with experience of this type of Belgian bivi. How do you find it performs?

To the OP - I was looking at buying one of those, and read that there is a stuff sack at the head end for clothing - to act as a pillow.

Sorry to sound like I'm hijacking the thread, but I've been looking for someone with experience of this type of Belgian bivi. How do you find it performs?

To the OP - I was looking at buying one of those, and read that there is a stuff sack at the head end for clothing - to act as a pillow.

I expect that's what the tapes are for since the head end is quite long and could be folded in half then tied together. In terms of actual performance, I don't know yet since laying on the floor on my deep pile carpeted lounge doesn't count.
Gibbo.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I'm hoping Zeph picks up the thread. I'd love a report on these bags.

Have you any plans for taking it out soon, so you can let us know how it performs?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
The tapes I believe are for when you roll it up, bedroll syle. As are the little flaps on the side with the ties. Meant to leave bag inside.

To be honest I've only used mine for one night and that was with a tarp, I did however throw a few buckets of water over it whilst my
6 year old was in it and the water beaded off nicely and he stayed nice and dry inside.

Theres a review on the mk1 and 2 (half way down the page)

http://maceachain.blogspot.com/2009/06/pro-action-hike-lite-review-pt-2.html

That's good news since I showed this to an army friend last night who said first off that it's not Gortex (I already knew that) and he thought it would only be shower proof. I was going to show it the garden hose to see what happens. He recommended Scotchguarding it.

He went on to say that he didn't rate the British army issue bivi bags!

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
Excuse the bump... Any update with this bag, they or very similar ones are going cheap on eBay at the moment and i'm wondering if i could get away with it (£16) rather than getting the Hunka from alpkit.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Just got one and thought it worth recording for anyone thinking about getting one that the inside of the underside (wot a rotten sentence), on mine at least, is aluminised. Something I didn't know until it arrived and, checking back, not mentioned in most descriptions of this bag. Another reason for a thumbs-up, I think.

Cheers,
Leif

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I've got one. It isn't water proof or wind proof on top but the bottom could be described as water resistant. at a push. The top part is for rolling the bag/sleeping bag combined, into and laces together to form a bed roll.

These are marketed as breathable well, yeah because the top isn't made of a water proof material. Maybe it could be water proofed using a product, I don't know. I wouldn't even call this a bivvy bag really. I mean it is but it doesn't offer the advantages of a goretex bivvy bag i.e. water proof and wind proof.

It would offer some protection for the sleeping bag if used under a tarp/bivvy but not much. That's my experience for what it's worth.

Anybody wants mine they can have it, if I still have it. I cut the roll part off the top though to lighten it.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I use mine as previously mentioned. I roll mine up from the bottom with my sleeping bag and neoair inside and it all fits into the flap at the top. The side flaps and tapes protect the ends from dirt and moisture whilst it's attached to the outside of my pack.

Jul 11, 2021
Waterford Ireland
I've used them before the straps are meant to be used to roll it up (i believe) as for how they perform i wouldn't recommend it they are only partially membraned In a tent maybe but outside rain will leak through you could wax them but honestly i prefer to use a goretex bivi.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE