Sewing webbing, any tips?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
I have two small tasks that require me to sew some standard 25mm webbing, its just replacement buckles on to straps. So I have a couple of questions

1. Machine or hand (my wife has a home sewing machine).
2. If its its hand, what needle, thread and awl to get
3. If machine what needle and thread.

The stuff I need to sew is the normal stuff you get on rucksack shoulder straps.

Cheers

Jon

Reactions: Insel Affen

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have happily sewn webbing with a domestic sewing machine using a 100 needle and ordinary polyester sewing thread - including making several hammocks and rucksacks...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I too have been able to sew webbing with home machines, again using either 90 or 100 size needles and Sewall, BUT, I have also turned the air blue with frustration getting it to work. The machines I have access to are all old, 1960s or earlier. Neither of the ones that can do zig-zag stitch can have presser foot pressure adjusted. Getting thread tension right can be a pain, you have to perform tests on scrap material to get the combination of stitch length, width and tension. Some webbing is beyond the capability of the machines I have. Thinner, softer, more flexible webbing is definitely easier. The most common 25mm stuff that I have encountered on packs is do-able, but requires testing and setting up for. I would however give it a try before trying hand sewing again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chris, you might find it easier if you manually use the machine to sew. Machines of that date often had an extra screw hole in the disc at the back where one could attach a handle like the ones on converted treadle machines. A turned knob works very well.

Sewing webbing. I use a denim or upholstery needle. A 100 shank and either a size 16 or 18.
Webbing is nylon, I use a strong nylon thread.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have some bonded nylon thread on a great cone spool, but have found that I really struggle to get that to work for sewing webbing. I just can't adjust the tension far enough that I don't get a great glob of thread on the back of the work. That is with a 90 or 100 needle, so the hole is big enough for the thread. My solution is to go back to my 70 needle and Gutterman SewAll. The thinner needle goes through with less effort and the machine is able to pull the stitches tight. I can get very strong, dense, zig-zag bar-tacks with the thin thread while I can struggle to get simple straight stitches using the thicker thread.

However, when joining just two or three layers of Cordura, the thick needle and bonded nylon thread work fine and the single row of stitches in thicker thread is much stronger than it would be in SewAll.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Let me be the first to agree that sewing your own always makes exactly what you need.

I have an American-made manual device called a "Speedy Stitcher."
For repairs, it can't be beat. But as a a beginner, my stitching is very uneven.

Local guy restores antique furniture upholstery and has the sewing machine to match.
Great excuse to go visit and watch him sew. Made me a wonderful canvas apron with better
ideas for pockets (underneath on the inner face) than I ever would have thought of.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Thanks for all the info hopefully "borrow" the wifes sewing machin over the weekend to give it a go. Last thing I made on it was blackout curtains for our old place..

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good move!
I did a two year full time Btec Fashion design course to learn sewing and pattern cutting when I started getting interested in sewing :)

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I'd love to have the time to do that, I'd also like to do the course they offer in the Army, but I'm not allowed to (wrong rank).

Teaches you all the unit repairs for webbing etc and your course piece is a daysack.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a very practical idea :D
If the lady who is to be your tutor worked for a costumier, she'll have a wide experience of not just fabrics but notions too.
I'd really like to hear how you get on with the course; it strikes me as the sort of thing that more men ought to do as a sound base for 'thread injecting', patterning, etc.,

M

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
What a very practical idea :D
If the lady who is to be your tutor worked for a costumier, she'll have a wide experience of not just fabrics but notions too.
I'd really like to hear how you get on with the course; it strikes me as the sort of thing that more men ought to do as a sound base for 'thread injecting', patterning, etc.,

M
I'll pop something on next week. (Got a cancellation). She seems (bad pun) to know her stuff as her courses get booked up and she has regular groups.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd love to have the time to do that, I'd also like to do the course they offer in the Army, but I'm not allowed to (wrong rank).

Teaches you all the unit repairs for webbing etc and your course piece is a daysack.
That's why I suggested a parachute rigger. It must be a little different for us as it was them who also repaired any webbing, aircraft upholstery, etc. It was a career field rather than a rank thing for us though.

In any case, enjoy your course!

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
So as promised, some feed back on the course. (I suppose it should be in the review section really).

There are only 6 places on the course and no real surprise to find out I was the only man on there. But there were also two no-shows, which was a shame, (the indoor Cheif of Staff said shed have gone if she'd known). The lady who took us (Bryony), explained she'd sewn all her life and come back to sewing via a mundane job elsewhere, she'd also done her degree in materiel design. (Nadine the owner also did a degree in Fashion/clothing - doing her dissertation on the development of military uniforms, turns out her dad was a Woofer!)

The course was for real non-sewers and took you through all the basics, starting with the machine (which was a Janome DXL 603 and was the Starship Enterprise compared with my machine) we were taken through winding and loading spools, threading, feet and feeders, a bit on tension and the controls of the machine, like speed and patterns. Some good tips to be had such as using the little aperture on the foot to start the sewing or marking the plate with tape if you needed to.:smile:

We then got sewing and we told about length and width, then given some Calico to get the feel, turn corners and a little bit of a play to build a bit of confidence, it also helped us get into the right position and used to the foot pedal. Next we moved onto some simple seams. Just a plain seam but then also showing how to pin and then press the seam and stitching afterwards, then a bit of a chat about seam allowances and how to stop fraying by using the machine's own 'overlocker'. After this we moved onto French seams and blind hems, which was good and interesting. Hemming was also useful to see how much the thread poked through so adjusting the width and length gave different finishes. They also gave us a go on the real overlocker before trying some hemming. It wasn't as violent as the industrial one I tried at Bicester Depot a few years back.

We tied it all together by making a stand-alone pocket like you get on jeans. It was worse than playing chess, thinking about 6 steps ahead. It also got us using the aiming marks on the plate for sewing a curve, which I didn't realise were there! The last bit of the course was using the button hole settings, but as this machine was digital, it meant you just pushed a button and it did the rest (button in the foot and an automatic stop) so I'll have to practice them manually.

I forget where and when we changed feet, but we did changed through several of them and I may have the order of events slightly out of kilter, but we covered a lot. I was mentally pretty tired as there was a lot of concentration and self induced pressure to get perfect seams etc was huge,:nailbiting::nailbiting:. All through the day there was much small talk about heavy and light materials and what experiences we had or what we wanted to do next etc

Overall it was a great day, relaxed atmosphere, tea and coffee on hand, and I'd thoroughly recommend you do a basic course at your local centre. We all got some hand outs (like on types of needle) and a folder to store our samples in. I'm certainly going to book the Day 2 course, but there's no space till Apr.

:dancer:

http://www.yorkschoolofsewing.co.uk/

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :)
That sounds like a brilliant way to get the basics well set, and build up confidence too.
It's easy enough to say to someone to get a sewing machine and learn to use it, but honestly, being stepped through the ins and outs, by someone who knows what they're talking about is really the best grounding, and then practice, really take on board all the little tips and ideas too.

Thank you for the write up :) very clear, approachable and encouraging too.

M

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Excellent :)
That sounds like a brilliant way to get the basics well set, and build up confidence too.
It's easy enough to say to someone to get a sewing machine and learn to use it, but honestly, being stepped through the ins and outs, by someone who knows what they're talking about is really the best grounding, and then practice, really take on board all the little tips and ideas too.

Thank you for the write up :) very clear, approachable and encouraging too.

M
Cheers Toddy.

Came home, made a much better stuff sack and a pin cushion. I even hand sewed the fell seam after I'd turned it right side out and stuffed it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE