Sewing thread weights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Seeing as many people seem to have sewing machines on here, can I ask what thread weight/thickness people use in them? I have a Singer 201K and currently using overlocker thread, which I think is 40 weight.

However, I'd like to sew some stronger stuff and wonder if my machine would cope with 12 weight Nylon.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I use a variety of weights...

Standard guttermans, Barbour nylon thread, and brit army khaki issue are the ones which spring to mind along with some vintage cottons

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I use V92 and V138. For boat covers , sails, horse rugs, canvas n stuff . Depends what size needle you can use I guess.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ordered a spool of V79 (40S) - think I'll need to lower the tension on the bobbin as the sample I obtained from a local upholstery maker didn't flow too well. Not sure what size needle is in my machine but I have some Size 16 needles spare - my local sewing shop didn't have anything larger

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, the big spool of thread arrived today and it does seem pretty strong. Had to lower the tension on the bobbin case slightly and ramp it up on the thread tension but sews quite nicely through 2 layers of my upholstery leather (especially now I have a decent drive belt on the motor). Think I'm still on the original size 18 needle that came with the machine, although 15 Schmetz denim ones arrived this morning which should keep me going for a bit as I'm bound to break one sooner or later

Reactions: chas brookes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE