Sewing Thread For Ventile Garments

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Has anyone here used nylon or poly/cotton thread in their DIY ventile garments?
I'm thinking that the nylon or poly/cotton mix thread would be stronger than using a ventile thread.
Any feedback?
Thanks,
Monk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Monk said:
Has anyone here used nylon or poly/cotton thread in their DIY ventile garments?
I'm thinking that the nylon or poly/cotton mix thread would be stronger than using a ventile thread.
Any feedback?
Thanks,
Monk

My only quibble would be that unlike natural fibres they don't really swell when wet and it's this property that helps make ventile waterproof.

http://www.ventile.co.uk/

cheers,
Toddy

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
You have a compromise, either you use cotton thread, (which will swell and help stop water getting through the stitch hole, but, the cotton will rot and you will have to make repairs), or you use polycotton/polyester/nylon (which will not rot, but because it is stronger than the ventile, will increase the likelyhood of tearing the ventile, and therefore causing excessive wear).

Greg

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
greg2935,
Thanks! That's what I was wondering about...if the cotton thread (even Ventile thread?) will rot. I did have a suspicion that nylon or polycotton thread might "cut" the ventile fabric but thanks for confirming this..I'll check for a thread with a nylon core and outer cotton covering..saw it once somewhere.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well actually, Ventile's not TOTALLY reliant on it's swelling properties.
Ventile is weatherproof because:

a) It can be treated with Grangers or Nikwax cotton proof, allowing water to bead on the outer surface.

b) It uses 30% more yarn than conventional fabrics, making it extremely tight. Therefore, it is rather difficult for water to soak in.

c) Eventually, water will get through the above two factors. Because Ventile is an oxford weave, it swells, making the already tight weave even tigher. Uniform expansion of fibres does not work so well in twill weaves, IE: Gabardine.

d) Finally, good Ventile jackets can be made in the double layer format. This works on the principle that if the outer layer gets wet, the closely woven lining creates a barrier from the wearer's body to the outer layer. As well, save for the seams and zippers, the lining fabric does not touch the outer. This creates a very slight airspace that helps.

And there you have it, 4 reasons to buy a Ventile jacket.

(I used to think "Man, who would want a cotton jacket in the rain?" Poof. I get a double layer anorak for my birthday. Well, that soon changed my opinion!)

A.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
One thing i have noticed on ventile garments is that they are sewn quite loosly as opposed to having tight stiching. I was told that this is to stop the thread from cutting into the fabric when it swells.

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE