Sewing palms

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've just started making these again for the living history crowds. I do these in right and left handed. The leather is natural veg tanned and can be either plain or tooled, depending on the persona and whether tooling was popular in the period. These are similar to the ones from LePrevo except that the ones they sell are chrome tanned and a plastic cap. Fine if you do modern leatherwork, but no good in a historical camp.

sm-palm001.JPG

On the left, you can see the blank palms and the leather caps ready to go on.

sm-palm002.JPG

A closer view. The metal insert is home made too.

sm-palm003.JPG

A different angle.

sm-palm004.JPG

How it looks from the back.

sm-palm005.JPG

How it looks from the front.

These ones are going across the pond, but I may put some up on the Makers page if anyone is interested (they go for a tenner).

Eric

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got a palm, mine has a rawhide patch under the cap

(rest is similar though)

Left handed; I sew with my left hand but use a knife with my right!

esmache

Mar 17, 2011
Argentina
Eric, I´ve a question. Can you tell me how you make the leather caps and what and how you put the metal insert? Excuse me for my english, but this is not my native language.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have one of those, my grandfather was a sailor, and they used those quite a lot when he was in his teens. I got his when I was a kid. Mine is partly made out of rawhide though (the bit you have in your hand), with steel insert and thick leather going around the hand. Lovely thing, a lot better than a thimble for heavier fabrics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE