Sewing machine help!!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My Toyota RS2000 sewing machine has stopped working - it isn't picking up the bobbin thread. I've checked the hook timing but the rotating hook doesn't turn all the way round - it shuttles back and forth. Is it supposed to or should it be like all the sewing machine animations I've seen?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think my old dear has one of those machines, does the bobbin go in the front of the machine and sit vertically? if it does i'll have a look at her machine later for you and let you know how it works

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yep, she has a Toyota RS2000 as well, here's a short video of the bobbin section being hand cranked, sorry it's a bit out of focus

[video=youtube;e1K7xw3Z30s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1K7xw3Z30s&feature=yo utu.be[/video]#

Hope it helps?

its out of sync with the timing, whats happened is that they go out of timing if you say have a jam up or such like, knowing this is of no help whats so ever as i have no idea how to sort it , except for the fact when i did this to ours last month it cost me £25 to get fixed at the local machine shop

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I had similar problems with our machine a week bag. turned out some thread had got caught around some of the beraings/ joints. Got it all pulled out and gave it a blast of WD40 and now it's working a treat.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks chaps (and Kepis - that video will prove very useful). I have oiled it etc. but reckon it is out of sync in some way. Will take it apart again (always good fun)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Fixed it! Ended up taking the thing apart & moving the spur gear on the back of the hook spindle. Kepis' video showed me how much mine was out of alignment & so i took a clearer video of my mother-in-law's Brother model, which is similar.

Must have jumped a few teeth on the gears as one of them is only Nylon

A few stitches made by turning the wheel by hand were perfect - picked up first time!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What are the symptoms, model # etc.?

Just sewn a patch on my trouser knee where it had ripped... went OK until I tried to put them back on again. That's what seam rippers are for! It ain't pretty but it's strong

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The needle is mounted on the end of a shaft.

This shaft is driven by a collar. The collar is tightened around the shaft with a clamping screw. On mine it's a 2mm Allen screw but yours might be slightly different.

Take the bobbin out & hand wind the machine until the needle reaches its lowest point. On mine (and my mother-in-law's) the tip of the needle and the inner "claw" bit just overlap. If the needle is too far down, it could hit the bobbin. You can undo the screw above & move the shaft.

As the needle moves back up on its stroke, when the hook passes it, the eye of the needle should be slightly lower than this hook (so it can catch the thread)

However, is it a new needle? Could be bent or not inserted fully (make sure it's the right way round - flat bit goes towards the back usually)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE