Setting a tarp ridgeline across a gorge?

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
Hey. I was out the other week and found a spot where I'd like to sleep out under my new tarp, but I'm not sure how to go about setting it up. Basically, there's a flat piece of ground just big enough to lay a sleeping mat on, with steep grassy slopes on either side, and a dried up stream in the middle, next to the flat ground. (Although after the rains it's probably running again. Should be OK - the stream bed looked low enough). There are no trees for the ridgeline, so I'm wondering what's the best way of getting a secure line across the gorge?

Cheers for reading,

Randall

P.S. Could you recommend some bungee cords? They'll be for attaching the tarp to the ridgeline with the old prussic knot.

Total tarp newbie here but it does look fun and better than doing the tent thing.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If the gorge is deep enough so that the tarp can just sit at ground level, you could just peg it out either side (maybe use a few pegs, or larger stakes)?

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
Thanks for the links, Zarkwon. I thought of using stakes, don't think tent pegs will give much stability really. I'll see if I can get a good set up over there next week and will take a few pics.

Randall

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
My knee jerk reaction would be don't bother trying to figure out how to put the tarp there:

If it's not raining you won't need the tarp. If it is raining you really don't want to be sleeping there, (in case of flooding.) Of course, I haven't seen the site, so you'll be able to judge better than me whether or not it's a viable spot.

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
Sounds like a trap for cold air if it's in a gorge?

Well the gorge runs down from the top of a moor, gradually widening as it goes. I'd be at the bottom of what I'd call the gorge, but then that sort of merges into a valley, which goes further down. It's quite a high spot really, and not in a hollow.

Also it's the only place away from the paths that is level ground, and not having a hammock (there are a lot of trees) there aren't many other spots, so I gotta take what I can get :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE