Setting a compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Not sure I would talk about mag declination at all to be honest. As the others have said, it's a bit complex for them and could just end up with them confused. Plus you have to remember, that in the UK the declination is only between 2.5 and 1.5 degrees (and getting smaller), it really isnt worth bothering with (here). The other issue is that map reading is really about relating the map to the land. If you can see landmarks in your environment and can relate them to the map, then you know where you are and dont need a compass - you only need a compass for orientating yourself and the map to the land - and you can do that just as well by looking for the mossy side of a tree, or looking at the way the sun is moving - and that is prolly tons more fun for cubs. Get em used to reading the land and relating what they see to the map, landmarks, contour lines, rivers, buildings etc. A good solid basis in that will underpin complex compass work if they later want to attempt things like navigating featureless landscapes in the dark.

Teaching them to navigate without a compass, is probably the best gift you could give them. If you really must do compass work, I'd stick to the Silva 123 method and teach em nowt else at all.

...and for your own reference, as said above, declination is "grid to mag add, mag to grid get rid" - for the northern hemisphere and the opposite for the southern hemisphere.

Last edited:

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
might set up a very simple orienteering course, put a paper on the back of each target tree with the heading towards the next tree/number of paces

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
might set up a very simple orienteering course, put a paper on the back of each target tree with the heading towards the next tree/number of paces

That's a great idea. You could make a little competition out of it. Send em off in pairs out of sight and sound of the others and time em round a course. Maybe the fastest pair round could win a compass or a badge or something?

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I wouldn't even contemplate talking about magnetic variation at that level, far too complexed for the age group and will probably just confuse them, keep it simple mate.

A good resource is the (NNAS) National Navigation Awards Scheme, the syllabus listed will give you an idea what to be covering with young people and adults of all ages and abilities.

Here's a link......

http://www.nnas.org.uk/

:)

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Nive chart from the same place:
merc_d.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Variation east, compass reads least,
Variation west, compass reads best.

The same is true for other compass errors. For example if you have magnetic materials near to the compass (such as in a steel boat) you can have a 'deviation' which may not be constant. So instead of the rhyme above you can just say

Error east, compass least,
Error west, compass best.

where error = deviation + variation + AnyOtherErrorsYouCanThinkOf.

Some people use the term 'declination' instead of 'variation' but I tend to think of declination as relating the vertical component of the magnetic field, which doesn't really affect you unless you're sailing a steel boat on its ear. Then you can get a 'heeling error'. It's just another error.

There's a great book by Mary Blewitt which covers this stuff. There are some that go into it quite a bit deeper, but I think that's probably more than enough for the cubs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE